6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 4:10 PM by jimn5dc

RAID1 Failure

jimn5dc

I have an HP 3i/450 64 bit computer. I added a second 1 tb drive, and setup RAID 1.The next morning, the computer had crashed, the RAID drive did not take over, and I lost everything, including the operating systemI had to purchase a new copy of Windows 7ultimate64 bit. I'm not a happy camper over this, and want to backup using RAID 1. I have used it on my 32 bit Vista computer for several years, using the RAID console, but the new Intelsystem that comes with this computer has a big problem!

• 1. Re: RAID1 Failure
          dynamos

I do not know the machine HP 3i/450. But the motherboard can be part of the failing group (Sandy Bridge) chipset.Is the CPU Socket 1155?. Crosscheck the version of board. If it's not , It may not be a problem of intel! The raid needs specific disks. Hardware failure can exist anywhere and anytime. I hope next time to keep a backup. Do not be so unlucky ..!

• 2. Re: RAID1 Failure
            jimn5dc

I did have a backup on my Windows Home Server, but could not do a restore, after trying for 2 weeks. Here from Belarc Advisor is the description of the computer:

Main Circuit Board b
            3.07 gigahertz Intel Core i3 540
            32 kilobyte primary memory cache
            512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
            4096 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
            64-bit ready
            Multi-core (2 total)
            Hyper-threaded (4 total)
            Does that tell you anything?

• 3. Re: RAID1 Failure
              dynamos

Core I3 540 is not Sandy Bridge base CPU...check if you hard disks are parts with problematic issues, check mobo bios update , software update.

Good luck ..!

• 4. Re: RAID1 Failure
                jimn5dc

I installed after crash, a new 1 tb drive. I am reluctant to add another driveto try RAID again. I have an external 1 tb drive, that I am imaging and dacking up the internal drive, in addition to backingup every night on Windos Home Server. I hope I'm covered!

• 5. Re: RAID1 Failure
                  dynamos

No more bad luck for you..! You left nothing to chance.

• 6. Re: RAID1 Failure
                    jimn5dc

I am posting for comment, a response from the HP forum, as to how I should setup RAID 1. I'm of the impression, that copying the operating system to a new RAID 1 drive is done automatically. I'd very much like to hear(or see comments on what the author sent to me.

jimn5dc wrote: In December I purchased an refurbiished HP P6530F Desktop (Windows 7 Home Premium). Later I wanted to setup RAID 1 with an external drive for RAID use. I added the drive, and with the Intel Software included in the 6530, setup RAID 1. The next morning the computer had crashed, and I could not recover anything using the recovery disk created the first day I receive the computer. My server using WHS, could not do a restore. I ended up having to purchase a new operating system( Windows 7 Ultimate), which I am now running. I would like to setup RAID 1, but am very reluctant to do so after the mess that it created. I contacted Intel, yesterday and was told to contact HP(pass the buck!)

Hello jimn5dc, Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Anytime you create a new Raid array, whether a Raid0 (striped) or Raid1 (mirror) as you mentioned you attempted, you will always be required to reinstall the operating system after the Raid array is created. You then will need to reinstall all your applications.

The BIOS will also need to be configured as a Raid system. The reason your Recovery Restore Disk will not work on the Raid array is it was made for a single hard drive and does not find one when trying to reinstall the Recovery Software.

It is not recommended to set up a Raid array using an external hard drive due to the read/write differences in the enclosed and the external hard drives. The external hard drive will always be slower for read/write operations, and interfer with the Raid array performance and likely want work at all.

You should be able to install the new hard drive in the case and then enter the Intel Raid Utility and create the Raid 1 array. It is highly recommended that both the hard drives in a Raid array be the same capacity, size, and cache. They can be from different manufacturers, but that is not recommended either. It is best to have identical hard drives for a Raid array, at least in a HP Home system. Some Business Class systems can manage drives of different capacity, etc., but these are usually contolled by special hard drive controllers, and not the onboard controllers on most Home systems.

When you create or delete a Raid array of any type, you will loose all the data on all the hard drives.

When you install the operating system on the new Raid array, a new Master Boot Record (MBR) will be created that will allow the operating system to be used on the new Raid array.

As far as I know, there is no other way of doing this. Others may know a different way, but I have been using Raid arrays for 20 years and this is the only way I know of to set up a Raid array.