Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

"Restart" button not working after processor upgrade

idata
Employee

Hi All,

I just finished upgrading my DG33BU board to the E8600 Wolfdale processor. It starts fine from a cold boot and runs great. It shuts down fine. When I attempt to use the "Restart" button, it logs off, saves my settings and shuts down. However, it then does nothing after checking the DVD drive. The system drive never loads up. If I shut down, then start fresh it boots fine. There are no issues in event viewer, no error messages and no other operational issues. I would be grateful for any ideas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Try installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and located at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17930&ProdId=2780&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=BIOS

Also try the processor on a 2nd motherboard to determine if it causes the same behavior.

idata
Employee

Thanks Adolfo,

I do have that version BIOS in place now. I do not have another board to try it in. I was upgrading to prepare for migration to Windows 7 and wanted a processor capable of supporting XP mode.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Adolfo,

On a hunch I reflashed the BIOS (same version) and lo and behold...the "restart" button is working again! Perhaps doing so tidied up some loose ends. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think after a few reboots I should know if the issue is fixed. I'll post an update next week to let everyone know for sure. As long as I've been at this I still find the most unusual things happening.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update: The BIOS reflash was the ticket to success. There have been no issues since. So even if you have the latest BIOS installed when upgrading your processor, you may need to reflash it.

0 Kudos