Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Is my Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 doing its job?

idata
Employee

Well, you see, as far as I see in details here http://ark.intel.com/products/36500 http://ark.intel.com/products/36500 , I see that it uses 2 cores. But wherever I check my system settings and etc in wide range of system and CPU softwares it says I have 1 core. Only place where it shows two of them is in Device Manager under the Processors.

One guy suggested that it is working in background whenever I need it, but if it were true then I would be able to play games that require 2 cores, but I can't - those games are suggesting that I have only one core.

So if somebody can help me, please do so.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If device manager shows two cores they are working.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Even if you say that... I tried a lot of different benchmark tests and every single one of them resulted that I am only able to run single threading. Also I saw on an youtube video that a guy with the same CPU ran a lot of applications altogether and opened up task manager and it showed two CPU usage lines - I tried the same, but my computer at one point slows down and doesn't show second core workflov. So I assume, even if I have dual threading, my second core, the one that takes care of second thread, isn't active at all, but it should be.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Can you RMA the CPU , Do you still have warranty??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, warranty ran out some time ago. I always was aware of this problem, but never took enough time to fix it - only now I have started to look more deeply.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

What Mother board are you using ??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Man it's time for a new build , I've been looking at the Gigabyte Z68 UD7 , Maybe my next build ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure it's fun to discuss these things, but I don't think your last answer helped me a lot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I finally fixed it.

Not exactly sure how it worked on Win7 but as long as it works.

So, what I did was, I used same fix Vista users used - Go in msconfig, cilck the BOOT tab, click advanced, now I wasn't sure that this fix would help because I didn't had checkbox "detect HAL", so I just deselected the "number of cores" tick, restarted my PC, went into BIOS setup(This I did from my own idea), reseted it to default settings, save and restart, I logged on, opened up task manager and finally was able to see two graphs working, so I went into msconfig again, ticked the "number of cores" again, selected 2, pressed ok, checked the tick "make thing pernemant" and clicked apply.

Thanks anyway. ^_^

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I know its a bit too late to reply but anyway. I was facing the same problem with E7400 on DG31PR and I would like to share a rather simple solution. In BIOS settings, there is an option called "Single Processor Mode". It is often enabled. All I did was disable that option, save changes and restart. And my problem was instantly solved. I even ran the Experience Index and gained considerable score for CPU. Now whenever I check my system settings, use MSConfig, Device Manager or scan through other softwares, it always shows 2 cores and 2 threads. Hope someone else finds the solution helpful.

0 Kudos