1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 11:00 AM by Salem_Intel

Computer (W7 on DX58OG, 8GB, Xeon 3.2Ghz) doesn't shutdown.

timb0

So every time I choose shutdown from Windows 7 64 Bit it won't shutdown, instead it restarts!. As in it goes through the entire process and then it restarts the system as if that's what you've chosen.

I've tried bios updates, driver updates, evcerything is up to date! I checked the bios out around it's different power options and tested a few different options but nothing has let this PC shutdown. If I turn it off manually (when it's in the restart process) the bios will compain and setet itself to a really annoying configuration which is actually overclocking the system which is pretty silly, unless you enter setup the next time you turn it on and change it to the settings (Ram & CPU options) it will start to overheat or crash!

I have already had one bad motherboard which wouldn't turn on from the beginning, that was replaced and now this new one can only restart. I hope it's not a broken motherboard again..

Cheers for any help from someone who knows how to fix this..

Tim

• 1. Re: Computer (W7 on DX58OG, 8GB, Xeon 3.2Ghz) doesn't shutdown.
          Salem_Intel

Hi,

Based on the troubleshooting you've done, if the system restarts instead of shutting down, then, to begin troubleshooting here, I'd recommend the following, just to be 100%:

1. Restart the system into BIOS.

2. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.

3. Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.

4. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

If the problem continues, I'd next need to know how your system's set up (basic info., only):

* Currently Running BIOS Version:

* Power Supply:

* Processor [please, include the exact model or sSpec#]:

* Memory module(s) [please, include the brand, size, frequency and part number of the memory module(s)]:

* Add-in card(s) (please, include the brand and model):