7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 4:24 AM by O4web

RAID1 problem

O4web

THE MAIN QUESTION

Will I be able to get to my data if I reset a RAID1 disk to non-RAID? Or will windows not understand the disk anymore? And could I then recreate the RAID1 array based on that disk without problems?

MORE INFO

I have a RAID1 array consisting of 2 disks: (windows is not on this array)
      HDD at port 4
      HDD at port 5

I have the following motherboard:

Gigabyte P35-DS3R

Yesterday the HDD at port 5 of my RAID1 failed. Went to the store, got a new one (same specs, different brand) and placed it in my pc at the same port as the broken one once was (port 5).

When I boot, the Intel Storage Manager in BIOS says that my RAID1 array "failed".

Once I open Intel Storage Manager in windows, I can see the Non-RAID disk I inserted and that the problematic disk is not available anymore (since I removed it of course from port 5 and replaced it). However, the manual says I can right click on the new non-RAID disk to rebuild the RAID on that disk. This option is NOT shown for some reason.

I want to rebuild the RAID1 array using my new HDD (on port 5) and the old good HDD (on port 4)l. All my data should still be on that good HDD (port 4), but I have no idea how to rebuild the array. I absolutely can not lose my data!!!

When I start the Intel Storage Manager utility in BIOS using <ctrl+I>, I have 4 options.

1. Create RAID Volume

2. Delete RAID Volume

3. Reset Disks to non-RAID
      4. Exit

I know that deleting it will make me lose my data. But does anyone have any idea what resetting does? Am I still able to see my data, if I reset my good HDD to non-RAID? Will there be any problems?

Maybe I can reset the good disk (at port 4) and in windows create a new RAID1 volume based on existing disk at port 4 (where my data still is) together with the new one (at port 5).

Any ideas?

EDIT: I read somewhere that you will not lose your data, but only metadata for RAID. But somewhere else people say you will lose data. I am almost sure you will only lose metadata for RAID, but I mostly wonder if I can easily access the data and if I can let it participate in a new RAID1 volume with the new inserted disk.

Something about it causing problems but just deleting metadata.
      http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/matrix-raid-problem-offline-member-disks-284264.html

I quote: "When a disk in the RAID volume is reset to  non-RAID, RAID metadata is erased. However, partition table and  file system related data still exists, which may be invalid."

My concern is mostly that the file system and partition table will be invalid. But since this is a RAID1 disk (which is an exact copy) it should be fine... right?

REPORT FROM INTEL STORAGE MANAGER

http://o4web.nl/Rapport.txt

• 1. Re: RAID1 problem
          O4web

Could someone please help me out?

• 2. Re: RAID1 problem
            srw1973

You should be able to see both drives in a broken RAID 1 array as individual drives with identical content if you turn RAID off in the BIOS. I just tested with a system I have and despite the scary warning about loss of data my OS still booted fine once converted to non-RAID; so you should be ok, but I would back up critical data if you can.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there is a chance there is nothing wrong with the failed drive; if you have a USB/SATA adapter you should be able to plug this drive in and view the data(and run diagnostics on the drive), potentially giving you the backup in case converting to non-RAID on your motherboard does do more than wipe the metadata.

Is the replacement drive the same size or bigger than the original drive; if the drive is smaller(even by a few bytes) then it will not be suitable for rebuilding the RAID.

The fact the RAID says failed is concerning; I just tested this to remind myself of the status messages and if I pull a drive from a RAID 1 array it should say degraded rather than failed, which might mean there could be a problem with both original drives, it could also mean that the problem is not with the drives at all, might be worth changing the sata cables and ports if you have spare.

Hope this helps!

Simon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: RAID1 problem
              O4web

Hmmm, well I can't simply turn off RAID in BIOS, because windows is installed on a RAID5 array.

Is it strange that in windows' disk management it says that both drives are unalocated and "Not initialized"?

Maybe I can try switching ports However I am not sure that ports are the problem. The moment that drive at port 5 failed, I noticed that it was making strange noises that I never heard before.

I think I will try to reset the drive to non-RAID and see what happens. I am curious what happens if I put it in a USB adapter though. Maybe Ill try that first. I will post my findings later on.

Thanks a lot!! 

• 4. Re: RAID1 problem
                dynamos

Check out Intel rapid storage technology.

RST user interface presents spare disks in configuration volume page ... !

• 5. Re: RAID1 problem
                  O4web

Hmm not sure what I could do with that? What are you exactly aiming at?

BTW I plugged the "good" disk in a different SATA port that is not able to use RAID and, fortunately, I was able to access my data!!

All I gotta do is make sure I make a good backup and then I will try to put the good disk back to its original port and to reset it to non-RAID, in order to recreate my RAID1 array based on the good disk.

• 6. Re: RAID1 problem
                    dynamos

To manage the arrays of disks. Supports spare disks and it's the new advanced version of matrix storage software.

Take a look to the overview..!

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: RAID1 problem
                      O4web

I installed the new software and reseted the good disk to non-RAID. Then I created a new RAID1 disk based on the good one and now all is well!