4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 11:20 PM by Shardstride

Which is the Best Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?

lijet

Hi Friends,

My Basic reason of purchasing this board & processor is to learn all below OS in lab effectively,

• MS Server 2008 /      2010                 =      Physically & Vertually
      • MS Exchange Server 2007 /  2010     =      Physically & Vertually
      • VMware vSphere / VMWare               =      WorkStation 7
      • Red Hat Enterprise Linux

I have been advised to buy:-

1.Intel® Desktop Board DQ67SW

2.Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)

Now pls suggest me will i be able to install these below OS on above hardware:-

• MS Server 2008 /      2010               =      Physically & Vertually
      • MS Exchange Server 2007 /      2010 = Physically & Vertually
      • VMware vSphere / VMWare       WorkStation 7
      • Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Can any one kindly advice is my selection of this Mother board & Processor correct? (Any suggestion for hardware configuration would be appreciated)

Awaiting for your valuable reply,

Many thanks in advance...

Li

• 1. Re: Which is the Best Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?
          MarkJohnson

Personally, I'd go with the server grade motherboards and Xeon processor (not much more cost wise).  One with two or more NICs for special configurations.  The stuff you chose should work fine, but double check the NIC as my DP67BG Extreme motherboard has an 82579V NIC and isn't server quality(no drivers for Server 2008 R2, Windows Home Server 2011, or ESXi 4.1).  so you may need to buy one or more NICs for your current setup.

I'm thinking of going server grade myself, as I bought a 2100T dual core for low power, but get a lot of lag.  I swapped my 2600K from my gaming rig to see if it cures lag, and it sure does.  So instead of getting a 2600 I'm going to get a Xeon and new sever MB.  I will also need ECC, Unbuffered memory as well.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

• 2. Re: Which is the Best Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?
            lijet

Thanks mark for your valuable reply,

What if I put a additional NIC in my existing hardware list (MB got one PCI Slot) to clear out the dought of incompatibility....! (Where i can check the compatibility for NIC of DQ67SW with 2k8 r2, 2k11 & ESXi 4.1)

& what you would advice for Server MB & Processor....I mean which model no of MB + processor you suggest...

Pls advice....

Many thanks once again...

• 3. Re: Which is the Best Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?
              MarkJohnson

What if I put a additional NIC in my existing hardware list (MB got one PCI Slot) to clear out the dought of incompatibility....!

Yes, it will work fine.  I bought an Intel NIC as others are hit or miss and for so many different VM OS Intel is supported best.

This is theone I bought for $27 (but it's PCIe, and Pro/1000 should work fine though)
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

(Where i can check the compatibility for NIC of DQ67SW with 2k8 r2, 2k11 & ESXi 4.1)

I checked the drivers at Intel.com and they say all desktop NICs do not have server OS support.  You will need a NIC card for that board.

what you would advice for Server MB & Processor....I mean which model no of MB + processor you suggest...

I'm new to server stuff, but I think I'll go with a server board with 4 NICs built it as it is about the same for a board with one nic. So far the one I may get is the supermicro board. (It has the 82574L which the above NIC has and is supported by the OSes you listed)

SuperMicro MBD-X9SCI-LN4-O for $209 with 4 Intel 82574L NICs, but it only has 2 slots (1 PCI and 1 PCIe x16):
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182258

as for the CPUs, the socket 1155 Xeons are all quads and the E3 series only.  all but the 3.1GHz model has Hyper Threading.  All the CPUs that end in 0 are 80 watts andnointegrated graphics, but most server board have intergrated graphics anyway.  Just make sure.

There are many, many combinations to choose from, so hopefully others will chime in with more info.

Good Luck
              -=Mark=-

• 4. Re: Which is the Best Intel Board & Processor for Virtualization?
                Shardstride

Sounds Pretty Nice! Here's what I Created; I5Core / Dual Core Desktop,DP55WG Media Series Board,Windows 7 32-bit,Norton 360, Barricuda 7200- 1TB. , 8 Gb. Patriot PC3-12800/1600MHZ G Series Sector 5 Ram. 750 wt. Power Supply,Blue Ray DVD,CDR,RW Disc Drive. Visio HDMI/HD TV,2- 9600 GT Verto-GeForce 2048 Mb. of GDDR-3. Virtualization in Windows 7 set at !00,000 Mb. Nvidia Panel & Dual SLI setting; Card one 3D Animation,Card 2 SLI. Using Nvidia Automatic settings for GPU/CPU, Audigy 4 Soundblaster,Nvidia 285.26 Driver's, All of Intels Driver & software updates,All Windows Updates;& Security Essentials, Open CL Compiler 1.5, Cisco- Roadrunner Turbo Boost.Steam & Oracle Gaming Platforms. Both Graffics Cards set at 8-times.Latest High Definition Audio Driver, IE-9, Windows old- Windows XP SP-3. Free Source Code Interlace. etc. I'm Currently gaming Dragon's Age 2 & the Quality Texture Phys-Ex- SLI in in-gaming w/ Turbo Boost Technology is Absolutly Amazing!..... I've never seen consistant gaming with such detailed Body Build & 3DX11 Animation in my life!... Now for the funny Part!... Both my graffics Cards were call-back's that wound out getting pitched by PNY or Destroyed; Guess what? I proved there's nothing really wrong with them!....With Intel & Nvidia's help of course.......I Added an Advanced AI Feature from Intel, Now the Cloud Developer's are having problems reading Unknown Data; Because my PC's writing it's own Unique Code?........A truely unique work of art it is!.........And all the Media & Flash-Point Player's?....... Despite everything Installed on & upgraded for Intel; Windows 7 still optimizes my settings........Sincerly, Shardstride........