6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 3:42 PM by Major_A

Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.

RaymondDay

I can't get why they can't make a Green PC like the Atom but then be faster and use more power when you need it. So something like use 15 watts when just typing serching the Internet, checking e-mail and stuff.

But go to 100 watts or so of CPU power to watch HD video, or work on video, or games, or something like that.

Is there any CPU like that now? I read about speed step but it don't seem to work real good like I am talking about here.

Seems like they could put like a Atom + i5 on a one core to get this.

As time goes by it seems like people are finding out how much power there PC's use and cost.

-Raymond Day

• 1. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
          Jose_Intel

We at Intel appreciate your feedback on this matter. We will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns to us.

• 2. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
            Nipo

Yes, there are such CPUs i3-2100T, i5-2500S, i5-2500T, i5-2390T

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59134/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors/desktop

I have put together a test system including i5-2500K and measured the PC power usage at the wall power socket.

PowerSS-400ET
            Processori5-2500K
            BoardDH61WW
            Memory4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
            Storage500GB WDC 6Gbps
            PC PowerCPU Package Power
            IDLE23 W5 W
            Archiving7ZIP Bench80 W45 W13500MIPS
            RenderingCB11.5 Bench 32b90 W55 W4.9 pts
            BluRay1080p35 W15 W

Seasonic SS-400ET Test Results
            DC Output (W)21.241.660.281.9104.7124.1145.2
            AC Input (W)325878102128150175
            Efficiency66.30%71.70%77.10%80.30%81.80%82.80%83.00%
            source: spcr

Basically 23 Watts Idle that is AC Input and the DC output remains between 50-80% depending the load.

The difference between AC and DC is lost in the PSU as heat.

i5-2500K is almost 3 times more power hungry than i5-2390T.

I hope this answers your question.

• 3. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
              RaymondDay

Yes Nipe that good Showing all that. 23 Watts is still a lot just sitting there. But it is good if it will go up and down even more how you use it.

Looks like still have to wait for one. A 2 core CPU were one core is like a low power Atom CPU and the other one like a i5 or more.

I am using a TonidoPlug 2 now as a server. It's a little slow but does the job. It saves a lot of power. Has a ARM CPU in it.

I guess if they could make a PC like a Cell phone and then when it needs it switch to a high power CPU that would be the best for a home PC.

But Cell phone have ARM CPU's the less trasitors you have the less power it takes. I guess Intel wishes they did ARM long ago now it my be to late. ARM uses program code to be like a none ARM CPU. Computer code don't take more power.

-Raymond Day

• 4. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
                Major_A

ARM is a totally different architecture than X86.  Only 3 companies in the world have X86 certification that I know of Intel, AMD and VIA.  It must be much easier to get an ARM license and the initial startup costs are much less than X86.  Can you imagine a company like Qualcomm (who leases ARM architecture) to try and startup an X86 line?  Intel and AMD would completely obliterate their product.  This is very similar to why Intel decided to drop their dedicated video card (Knights Cross?).  AMD and nVidia would've just come out with something that was already leaps and bounds better.  Basically Intel would be releasing new cards just to try to keep up with 2 generations old performance from AMD and nVidia.

• 5. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
                  Flying_Kiwi

Major_A wrote:

This is very similar to why Intel decided to drop their dedicated video card (Knights Cross?).

If you mean Knights Corner, where did you see that they'd dropped plans for it? All I've found is that it'll likely be released later this year or early next year. Clearly it's contentious as to what benefits it'll offer over competitors hardware but that's expected in such a market.

• 6. Re: Green PC that can speed up and consume more power.
                    Major_A

Thanks, knew it was Knights (insert name here).  I read this awhile back, maybe Anandtech?