1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 12:52 PM by urimend RSS

Problem compiling using ICC

urimend Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I tried to compile according to http://communities.intel.com/thread/15499.

Most of the issues did solved, but I still get the following:

icc -o exe/app objs/*.o /home/urimend/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -i-static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -cxxlib-icc -I/opt/icc-8.1.038/include/c++ -L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib   -DGORY -I/home/urimend/rcce/include
ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/crt1.o' is incompatible with i386 output
ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/crti.o' is incompatible with i386 output
ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/crtn.o' is incompatible with i386 output

Any ideas why icc still try to link with /usr/lib/ when I use the "-L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib" option?

Thanks,

Uri

• 1. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

Here are some simple questions to just rule out the obvious.....

What do you see when you issue "which icc"?

What do you see when you issue "which gcc"?

Can you successfully compile and execute straight C code (not C++ code)?

Did you try compiling with icpc instead of icc?

Can you successfully compile the simple hello.cpp?

How large is your example? Can you post a simple code example here that illustrates the error? Along with a makefile.

Are you working on one of our Data Center systems or is this your own MCPC/SCC system?

We can try out some simple stuff in the Forum, but if this gets complicated we should file a Bigzilla and move the discussion there.

• 2. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

What do we have two copies of this post? Strange.

• 3. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    urimend Community Member

I work on your servers.

marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT> which icc
    /opt/icc-8.1.038/bin//icc
    marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT> which gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc

I can't compile anything, including ANSI-C code, and including this:

#include "RCCE.h"
    int RCCE_APP(int argc, char **argv){

RCCE_init(&argc, &argv);

int ID = RCCE_ue();
    printf("core %d", ID);

RCCE_finalize();
    return 0;

}

icpc causes the same errors.

the exact command is:

icc -o app main.c /home/urimend/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -i-static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -cxxlib-icc -I/opt/icc-8.1.038/include/c++ -L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib   -DGORY -I/home/urimend/rcce/include

Thanks

• 4. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

It looks as if you are not accessing the correct gcc. When you see

marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT> which gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc

you should see

tekubasx@marc005:~/bin$ which gcc
    /opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/gcc

Can you post the script that you source to get your path? icc uses gcc under the covers.

• 5. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    urimend Community Member

I tried:

setenv PATH /opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/\:$PATH

and got:

marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT> icc -o exe/app /home/urimend/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -i-static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -cxxlib-icc -I/opt/icc-8.1.038/include/c++ -L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib   -DGORY -I/home/urimend/rcce/include
    ld: /proj/MCEMU/modules/crosstool/0.42.1/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.5/crtbegin.o: No such file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

Please kill whatever shell you have. The start a new shell and source the file crosscompile.sh in your bin. That file should have the follwong lines in it. If you don't have such a file, please create it. Issue the command "source crosscompile.sh".  This will put all the compiler and associated libraries in your path. You need to source that file for every new shell.

#!/bin/bash

if [ -z "${PATH}" ]
    then
        PATH="/opt/icc-8.1.038/bin:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin"; export PATH
    else
        PATH="/opt/icc-8.1.038/bin:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin:$PATH"; export PATH
    fi

if [ -z "${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" ]
    then
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/icc-8.1.038/lib:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib"; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    else
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/icc-8.1.038/lib:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    fi

• 7. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    urimend Community Member

I followed this, and I still get:

urimend@marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT$ make run
    icc -o exe/app objs/*.o /home/urimend/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -i-static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -cxxlib-icc -I/opt/icc-8.1.038/include/c++ -L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib   -DGORY -I/home/urimend/rcce/include
    ld: /proj/MCEMU/modules/crosstool/0.42.1/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.5/crtbegin.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    make: *** [exe/app] Error 1
    urimend@marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT$ echo $PATH
    /opt/icc-8.1.038/bin:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/sccKit/1.3.0/bin:/opt/sccKit/1.3.0/bin
    urimend@marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /opt/icc-8.1.038/lib:/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib::/opt/sccKit/lib:/opt/sccKit/lib

icc insist on using /proj - which doesn't exist...

I even tried:

urimend@marc011:~/rcce/apps/INVERT$ icc -o exe/app /opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.5/crtbegin.o objs/*.o /home/urimend/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -i-static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -cxxlib-icc -I/opt/icc-8.1.038/include/c++ -L/opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/lib   -DGORY -I/home/urimend/rcce/include

• 8. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

Are you on marc011 right now? I'll go take a look.

• 9. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

What does your app do? I copied over your INVERT directory into my area and did a make build and got

tekubasx@marc011:~/sandbox/rcce/apps/INVERT$ make build
    icc -o exe/app objs/*.o /home/tekubasx/sandbox/rcce/bin/SCC_LINUX/libRCCE_bigflags_gory_nopwrmgmt.a -O3  -DSCC -DSHMADD -static -mcpu=pentium -gcc-version=340 -I../include   -DGORY -I/home/tekubasx/sandbox/rcce/include
    tekubasx@marc011:~/sandbox/rcce/apps/INVERT$ ls -l exe/app
    -rwxr-x--- 1 tekubasx admin 473649 2011-07-14 10:16 exe/app
    tekubasx@marc011:~/sandbox/rcce/apps/INVERT$

What happens if I run it?

• 10. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    urimend Community Member

You can do what you want...

How can I send messages to you on the marc?

• 11. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

Here's what I get when I run your app on 4 nodes. Is this what you would expect?

tekubasx@marc011:/shared/tekubasx$ rccerun -nue 4 -f rc.hosts app
    pssh -h PSSH_HOST_FILE.10440 -t -1 -p 4 /shared/tekubasx/mpb.10440 < /dev/null
    [1] 10:26:02 [SUCCESS] rck01
    [2] 10:26:02 [SUCCESS] rck02
    [3] 10:26:02 [SUCCESS] rck00
    [4] 10:26:02 [SUCCESS] rck03
    pssh -h PSSH_HOST_FILE.10440 -t -1 -P -p 4 /shared/tekubasx/app 4 0.533 00 01 02 03 < /dev/null
    rck03: core 3
    rck00: core 0
    rck01: core 1
    rck02: core 2
    [1] 10:26:14 [SUCCESS] rck01
    [2] 10:26:14 [SUCCESS] rck02
    [3] 10:26:14 [SUCCESS] rck03
    [4] 10:26:14 [SUCCESS] rck00
    tekubasx@marc011:/shared/tekubasx$

• 12. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

The messages I am sending you on marc011 ... I am using the Linux write command.

Type write <uername> <return>

Type your message

Type control-D to end it

• 13. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    urimend Community Member

Running it will cause exactly 4 UEs to print:

UE <UE_ID>

I compiled only this for debugging...

Any ideas why I can't compile?

• 14. Re: Problem compiling using ICC
    tedk Community Member

I put a cmdcapture.txt in your home on marc011. It illustrates a build and run procedure for your simple example. I was running as you.

You had changed the options under which RCCE was built. RCCE is C, not C++. It looked as if you were editing symbols and not symbols.in. The symbols.in is really symbols.in<put>. The file symbols is created by the RCCE configure. You shouldn't edit symbols.

The Makefile you were using invoked rccerun with the -emulator switch. But all your code was not built for the emulator. Also, your executable must be under /shared. This is the directory that is mounted on the cores. What people often do is put a cp in the Makefile that copies the executable to your user directory under /shared. Then, cd to that directory and run rccerun.

I also added a script in your bin that puts rccerun in your path and copied rc.hosts to your directory under /shared.

This casues that simple example to run OK. Looking at your files I see some sophisticated numerics stuff. This won't be as easy as the simple example, but worth doing. Please look at Bug 74 for information about how to add C++ code   http://marcbug.scc-dc.com/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=74

Please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or to get over some humps when you do the "real" stuff.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points