1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 5:54 PM by Jose_Intel

D975XBX2 not recognizing hard drive

gunit0001

Basically I have been in the process of configuring an older D975XBX2 motherboard for use in a server, using a lot of spare parts from other systems I otherwise wouldn't have a use for. I'm using the board with an Intel T6600 (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo), Intel stock fan, and 8GB of G.Skill 800MHz RAM. Now when I start up the computer - the BIOS finds and recognizes my hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB), my optical drive (24X Lite-On) and my video card (ATI Radeon 5830) and it even says on the screen that it recognizes both of them.

But I'm trying to get the hard drive formatted so I can install Windows Home Server 2011. When I try to use the Windows Server disc, it acts like the hard drive doesn't exist. I confirmed this when I used my Windows 7 Home Premium disc to start up the computer - it recognizes the CD fine and boots into the Windows installation program that way - but when I go into the command prompt and type in format c:, it returns an error message saying that the "specified hard drive does not exist". Now is there something that I need to do in order to get Windows to recognize the hard drive or should I try an extra drive that I just purchased in the motherboard and see if it works that way?