6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 11:53 AM by Salem_Intel

plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised

MERCER

Hi,

I have installed windows 7 onto my DP55KG, but it only recognises a narrow range of keyboards and mice. I also find that if I plug in an external hard drive eg LaCie Rugged or a seagate, then these devices are no longer recognised when used on other computers or laptops.

It seems plugging in a USB device that the DP55KG doesnt recognise sets something in the device but I have no idea how to fix this.

Once this happens the device is no longer visible in Device Manager. All were working fine before I plugged into the DP55KG

The only suggestion I have found is to leave the PC and the USB device powered down which resets them but did this overnight and same result.

I am thinking of applying the latest BIOS but as this would be a first for me hoped someone could say if this is worth trying or make some other suggestion.

Cheers

Lee

• 1. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

We have not had similar cases reported nor do we have a known issue with USB devices getting damaged after plugging them in to any of the onboard USB ports. Because, as I understand, your system doesn't have any problems with either keyboards and mice, before trying a BIOS update, I'd first suggest the following:

1. Ensure there are no conflicts in Device Manager.

2. If there are no conflicts in Device Manager, proceed as follows:

2.1. Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.

2.2. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.

2.3. Reset any customized BIOS settings.

2.4. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.

2.5. Finally, press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

3. Test out of the case, on a non-conductive surface if the problem continues.

• 2. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised
            ICEinLAVA

verify that your USB headers are plugged in correctly.

• 3. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised

Hi,

First up thanks for your replies, second up this is windows 2008 server not Windows 7 as stated earlier.

Using my LaCie rugged external hard drive which uptill this problem worked fine on atlease
              two laptops......

When the device is plugged in to the PC with the DP55KG I recived a baloon with the Error:
              "device not recognised ..."
              couldn't actually click on this as it disappeared when I moved the mouse over it.

==========
              Checking for 'conflicts in Device Manager'
              =
              I found that under
                  Universal Serail Bus Controllers
              There was now an entry
                      Unknown device
              In the properties of this device I found the error message:
                  "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

=========
              The url
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123
              Gives  the Recommended resolution
                  One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system
                  that the device failed in some manner.
                  If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard,
                  you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about
                  diagnosing the problem.

The Troubleshooting Wizard does not appear to be installed.
              So from properties on the 'unknown device'entry in device manager I ran
                  "update driver software"
              this told me
                  "the best driver software for your device is already installed."

===========
              If I plug the LaCie into my laptop I get the exact same scenario.

The same is true for for a seagate drive, and a mouse I tried on the DP55KG
              box no longer works either.

All three devices worked before being plugged into the DP55KG pc.

I thought I would contact LaCie to see if they can help and will update here when I get some feed back.
              But any clues, ideas or inspriration would be much appreciated.

Regards

Lee

• 4. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised

Hi,

Should add that as I did find what I assume are device conflicts, it would be better to leave the BIOS as it is.

Regards

Lee

• 5. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised

hello..who can help me,.....my usb stick is working hard...i mean the transfer is to slow..a movie(700 MB) in 13 minute..not good...and before that the transfer was good..a movie 700 mb was copy in 2 minute..plz who can help me

• 6. Re: plugging USB devices into DP55KG caused USB device not recognised
                    Salem_Intel

Hi,

Regarding the very last scenario described, to begin troubleshooting, I also suggest the following:

1. Ensure there are no conflicts in Device Manager.

2. If there are no conflicts in Device Manager, proceed as follows:

2.1. Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.

2.2. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.

2.3. Reset any customized BIOS settings.

2.4. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.

2.5. Finally, press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

Otherwise, proceed as follows:

1. Make sure the Operating System is running with its up-to-date patches/updates.

2. Save data on the USB stick, format it and try transfering the same file, again.

3. If the same slowness takes place, and if by "before that" you mean before updating the BIOS, then, I'd suggest trying with another USB flash drive.