5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 9:56 AM by DenisP64

SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop

DenisP64

Hello,

I just have bought a Sony VAIO VPCCA1CA5 (CA5 is for the customized version).

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility reports a data rate of 1.5 Gbits/s (this is confirmed with many others utilities like CrystalDiskInfo).

The Chipset in this Sony VAIO laptop is an Intel Sandybridge 6 Series HM65 rev. B2 capable of 6 Gbits/s data transfert.
      The disk is a Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS attached to Port 0
      The DVD player is a Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H attached to Port 1

I wonder where is the problem. Chipset problem ? Driver problem ? BIOS problem ? There is no option in the BIOS laptop to change the SATA datarate.

Any idea please ?

I have submited a case to the EU Sony SAV on June 15th. They have escalated the case, but they don't give any solution at the present time.

Thanks.
      Denis

• 1. Re: SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop
          allan_intel

It seems a chipset issue because based on your hard drive specifications, this should work at SATA 3Gb/s. Intel has discovered an issue related to hard drive degradation affecting the 6 series chipset ports 2-5,  even though ports 0-1 are not affected, this problem could be related to it.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

Thanks

Allan.

• 2. Re: SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop
            CarWiz

Check to see what the BIOS setting is for "Chipset SATA Mode". It's under Configuration > SATA Drives. It may be set to IDE compatibility mode which would limit the disk drive to 1.5Gb/s. If it is, there's specific steps to take to change it to AHCI. Do NOT simply change this setting or your system may not boot. Crystal Disk Info should have reported whether the interface is IDE or AHCI also. While ports 0 & 1 are capable of 6Gb/s you will only see a maximum of 3Gb/s. That's the capability of your HDD.

Next, I would return the PC to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement. The chipset should be HM65 step B3, not B2. The B2 indicates the motherboard was not replaced from the recall. (See link in previous post) While the chipset problem affects only the 3Gb/s ports, it is a fault and could make the ports unusable. And that includes eSATA ports.

• 3. Re: SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop
              DenisP64

Hello !

Thanks Allan for your info.

You are true, this is a chipset issue with the Intel Sandybridge 6 Series HM65 rev. B2.

I am not alone having this problem on a VAIO VPCCA1 (Mine has been manufactured by Sony between Apr. 11th & 21th. Now Sony sells a new one called VPCCA2).

But Intel provided an update on Support Chip Design Issue on Feb. 7th after announcing the issue on Jan. 31th :

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/02/07/intel-provides-update-on-support-chip-design-issue?cid=rss-258152-c1-264281

Intel said : "Intel is resuming shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset for use only in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue. Only computer makers who have committed to shipping the Intel® 6 Series Chipset in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue will be receiving these shipments."

The disk is on Port 0 and DVDrom on Port1. For a hard disk, the limitation to 1.5 Gbits/s is low. But I expect to replace the disk by a SSD later, and I would have it running at 6 Gbits/s !

My question is : Is It Intel who recommended to limit the speed to 1.5 on ports 0 and 1 of the HM65 rev. B2, to avoid the issue ?

To CarWiz :

Unfortunately, there is no user option in the BIOS laptop to change the SATA datarate !

I submitted a case to Sony support. The case has been escalated and after 5 weeks I received the response :

"I would inform you that the speed indicated by our software (Intel Rapid Share Technology) is in fact the internal transfer speed of the disk itself ; this speed is not related to the SATA controller speed which is SATA 2." ! ! !

Here is the CrystalDiskInfo report :

Capture.JPG

I will try to return the PC to Sony for a a refund or replacement. But today Sony does not recognize that there is a problem !

(Excuse my English, I am french...)

Thanks for your help !

Denis

• 4. Re: SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop
                CarWiz

Your problem may or may not be a chip set issue but for sure it's not the one detailed in the Intel link. You said your HDD and DVD are connected to ports 0 and 1. These two ports (SATA III)  are NOT affected by the Intel announced chip set issue. The issue is with the SATA II ports. These would be ports 2, 3, 4 and so on.

It appears that your SATA interface is set to AHCI so the slow speed of your HDD is most likely driver related. Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well as your BIOS. Update your BIOS first then update the drivers. You should be able to download these updates directly from Sony through their online support portal. All you will need is the PC model number. Follow the directions EXACTLY when performing updates.

• 5. Re: SATA working at 1.5 Gbits/s in a Sony VAIO VPCCA1 laptop
                  DenisP64

Hello Car Wiz !

I agree : Port 0 and 1 should work up to 6 Gbits/s.

The drivers are up to date. There is no BIOS update on the VAIO download center.

I believe that there is a setting somewhere, maybe in a BIOS register, limiting the Sata datarate to 1,5 Gbit/s.

There is no option in the BIOS settings at the user level to change it.

Is it a recommandation from Intel, or a choice of Sony to limit SATA speed ? Why ?

If it is a bug from Sony, why  the support does not correct it ?

I have bought a Sony VAIO laptop which gives me satisfaction, except that I cannot take advantage of replacing the hard disk by a SSD.

It's a shame !

Denis