3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 8:31 AM by

Computer shutdown with Assembly code

luigi.esposito.intel

I'm experimenting computer programming with 32 bits Intel Pentium processors, without the aid of operating systems, using directly the hardware and BIOS. In practice, I'm writing small code snippets in machine language, using the hexadecimal opcodes of the Intel Pentium processor (inferred by Intel manuals).

It would be interesting to see in Assembly code (without operating system support) how make the computer shutdown, a power-off, in short, not a reboot.
      The BIOS installed on my computer does not have the APM extensions (Advanced Power Management), so I cannot use the functions 530Xh of the 15h BIOS interrupt to handle the power of the computer. However, inside the BIOS menu, I can make an immediate shutdown of the computer.

Do you know how to make the computer shutdown using Assembly programming, without the aid of the APM functions and the operating systems, using only BIOS and hardware? (Maybe without removing the plug! ).

Thank you in advance and Regards.

Luigi Esposito

• 1. Re: Shutdown di un computer in Assembly

Hi,

Sorry not getting this language.

can plz explan in english?

• 2. Re: Shutdown di un computer in Assembly

You can translate using Bing Translator. Here is the translation:

"I'm experimenting with computer programming, Intel Pentium processors in 32-bit, without the aid of operating systems, using directly the hardware and BIOS. In practice, I'm writing small code snippets directly in machine language, using opcodes processor Pentium Intel hexadecimal inferred by its Intel manuals.

It would be interesting to see in Assembly code (no # operating system support as making the shutdown or a computer # power-off, a definitive shutdown, not a reboot #.
            The BIOS installed on my computer does not have the extensions # APM Advanced Power Management #, so you cannot use the functions 530x 3:0 pm BIOS interrupt to handle the power of the computer. However, inside the menu of the BIOS you can make an immediate shutdown of the computer.
            You know how to shut down a computer using Assembly programming, without the aid of the functions of the operating system and without extensions, using only the APM BIOS and hardware? # Maybe without removing the plug! #.
            Thank you in advance.
            Cordially.

Luigi Esposito"

• 3. Re: Computer shutdown in Assembly code

Yes, you are right. I translate the message in English.

I'm experimenting computer programming with 32 bits Intel Pentium processors, without the aid of operating systems, using directly the hardware and BIOS. In practice, I'm writing small code snippets in machine language, using the hexadecimal opcodes of the Intel Pentium processor (inferred by Intel manuals).

It would be interesting to see in Assembly code (without operating system support) how make the computer shutdown, a power-off, in short, not a reboot.
              The BIOS installed on my computer does not have the APM extensions (Advanced Power Management), so I cannot use the functions 530Xh of the 15h BIOS interrupt to handle the power of the computer. However, inside the BIOS menu, I can make an immediate shutdown of the computer.

Do you know how to make the computer shutdown using Assembly programming, without the aid of the APM functions and the operating systems, using only BIOS and hardware? (Maybe without removing the plug! ).

Thank you in advance and Regards.

Luigi Esposito