5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2011 3:39 PM by Wildboar

Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

i use a Intel RS2BL080 Controller with 6 Sata Disks attached as a Raid 5 Configuration.

Since Feb 2011  i use the Firmware Package 12.12.0-036 and everything runs fine with my Intel DX58SO MOBO Bios 5559.

There is no other Raid Controller in the System.

Usually the system boots after some seconds only shoing a cursor into the bios splash screen and after that into

the INTEL controller bios screen holding some seconds, displaying the config and booting the OS after that.

I downloaded the new Firmware package from the Intel Site ... Firmware: 12.12.0-048. With the Raid Web Console 2

i ugraded the Controller Firmware . Everything looks fine, some entrys in the log, but nothing unexpected.

After that i rebooted the Computer ... nothing .. the screen only shows the steady cursor line in the left edge. After 15 minutes the same situation.

I detached the Harddisks from the controller .. then it boots .... but not with the Harddisks attached.

So i decided to reset the factory defaults as sugested in the Firmware package readme file. Without the harddisks, the controller runs fine.

But again with the harddisks .. no boot.

So i decided to downgrade to the Firmware 12.12.0-036 again. After that everything runs fine without any problems.

Is the new Firmware Package 12.12.0-048 incompatible with older harddiskconfigs ?

What maybe wrong ?

• 1. Re: Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

The only time I've seen that, is when using non-validated hard drives.  Check out the list at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-030804.htm - it was updated this year, so it should be pretty current.

• 2. Re: Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

Thanks for the hint,

but my drives are not in that document.  Before the update of the firmware it runs perfectly for about 6 months. After the firmware upgrade, it doesnt boot. So for my case, there is something wrong with the firmware, cant see the point of incompatiblity. The firmware needs to get fixed.

• 3. Re: Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

That is always one of the dangers of running incompatible HDs.  They may work in one version of firmware, but not in another.

• 4. Re: Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

I would like to say, that not the harddisks are incompatible, but the controller is incompatible to disks. If this situation is ongoing, i will

change to another brand and product. I use raid controllers since 20 years, never had such an issue with lots of different harddisks. if there is a defect disk, i need to change to the next harddisk available, if that is not possibl,e i wouldn't use it for any valuable data. The raid controller should handle every standard or SAS Disk available. This is not an reliable product.

• 5. Re: Intel Raid RS2BL080 Firmware update leads to boot problems

I experienced a similar issue on a Intel desktop board, the DH67CFB3, with the card installed in the only available slot which was an X16 PCIe.

I installed the card, drivers, and web management utility with no attached HDDs.  Everything worked, the card was detected and the LSI bios displayed on boot up.

The firmware was updated successfully from Windows 2008 without a problem, then on the next reboot the system hung.  Adding drives made no difference.  It will no longer boot on this mb.

I will move the controller to a compatible motherboard (Intel S5500BC) and repost on whether the card is recognized.

While the mobo is not certified for use with this controller I can certainly relate to those who had a working configuration which was rendered dysfunctional by an 'update'.  I did not find this to be an exercise in confidence building in the robustness of Intel RAID controllers, as I'm sure is the case for others who have similar experiences.

This RS2BL080 controller is my attempt to address an issue with a SRCSASLS4I controller (with a S5500BC mobo) which has a tendancy to not POST on restart, and sometimes (about 50% of the time, in fact) even when it does it loses all information about the array configuration forcing a rebuild of all the drive arrays after reboot.

On the subject of the Intel Server Configurator and 'compatible' configurations the unstable SRCSASLS4I controller I'm replacing is paired with an AXX6DRV3GEXP backplane (which finally got a FW update this July) and is using WD RE3 HDDs.   As these were all items chosen using the Intel Server Configurator as compatible, only later to be identified by Intel as having issues specific to each part of this configuration (WD RE3 drives must have a jumper installed to ensure they run at 1.5 Mb/s or drives may drop from the array, AXX6DRV3GEXP requires a FW update and is not stable when used with unjumpered RE3s, and BTW, even after jumpering the drives down to 1.5Mb/s the above problems are still manifest) I am no longer feeling incompetent, unlucky, inobservant, or unprofessional that I have configured a server which has never been stable.

If I were an engineer in the storage group at Intel that advised on the compatibility of these not-quite-ready for prime time components, and having made your resellers look somewhat less than competent, I would not shed my feelings of guilt or inadequacy so quickly.

Right about now, however, I am beginning to question my sanity for spec'ing another Intel RAID controller to address the multitude of issues with the first one.  In hindsight this is not in spite of the fact that all of the configuration I'm putting in place is shown as compatible on the Intel website, but because having gone through that exercise in the first place I still ended up in this mess.