2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 12:12 PM by mr.teecee

Intel HW RAID importing problem.

I've got an Intel SRCSASLS4I RAID controller with 4+6 expander boxes. In the 6pcs HDD-ed expander I have 6cs 2Tb HDD in which slot0 is dying (0 reallocated sectors, but current pendig: 707, offline uncorrectable: 86 according to SMART). Besides this the RAID5 using all drives with no hotspare keeps stopping.

For now I got to this state: after booting there is no configuration, so the controller wants to find one. It finds a 'Not importable VD RAID5'. Slot1,2 is ood and online, while slot 0,3,4,5 is 'Not importable'.

What should I do?

Not to say, that I need to fix this in no time

• 1. Re: Intel HW RAID importing problem.

It's a bit LOL and a bit SAD...

I put the drives in different order and pulled the bad one out, so made a degraded, missing disk raid array. And guess what! The configuration importer saw 5pcs of disk in Online status colored GREEN! So I quickly imported the found config and put a disk into dedicated HSP and finally it started to rebuild.

WHY is this normal? IS THIS normal?

I spent more than 3 day trying to resolve this raid problem and a few more NOT doing anything. Yes, I was a fool not putting a HSP when I was building this raid, but this isn't normal...

Anyway: Do You have somekind of advice for WD Green disks? I was reading that I should disable the idle and enable the TLER. Anyone faced these with 2Tb WD Green disks?

Still waiting for the rebuild progress, it's almost 5%

(Message was edited by: mr.teecee) I marked this post as the solution.

• 2. Re: Intel HW RAID importing problem.

The RAID5 array rebuild went fine, everything is OK and I put a hotspare now.

Anyway: I would be happy if anyone could tell me why was this unexpected working. (All the drives are OK, none of the remaining 5 HDDs were having even a tiny bit of SMART-errors.)

I'll mark my previous post as the answer.