Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

video streaming - flash/driver related

idata
Employee

I have for the last four days been experiencing some extremely slow video streaming problems with all website involving flash (netflix, youtube, hulu, etc.). The video will play for about 2 minutes and then stop, then play again for 2 minutes, then stop. Buffering is extremely slow, even with my network operating at the same speed. This problem started happening when adobe flash updated to version 10.3.181.26.

I went through a series of steps I will describe below.

Here is a description of my system:

Windows 7 64 bit

Mobile Intel (R) Series 4 Express Chipset - with latest driver 8.15.10.2302 (2/11/11) - 1 GB

Adobe Flash version 10.3.181.34 (updated)

2.52 Mbps download, 1.52 Mbps upload speed (AT&T DSL)

Firefox 5.0 and IE 9.0.8112.1611

2GB RAM (only about 10% used during heavy internet use)

I started out by cleaning my cache and registry. I did so on firefox cleaning out everything, then went on my Registry Mechanic and did the same thing. Didn't fix it.

I then updated my graphics card driver to the latest version (as in above). It is surprising to me that their latest driver is from 2/11/11, but that was the latest they had.

I tried using IE instead of firefox with netflix, hulu, and youtube. Got the same issue.

I tried streaming video without my wireless card, going directly through my router via ethernet cable. Video streaming issues persisted. Also did a speed test and got same results as with wireless.

I used my iphone (wirelessly connected through my network) on one of the same videos from youtube. Had no issues (so probably not a network problem)

I visited another wireless internet location (local cafe). Same issues on my laptop with video streaming, no issues on my iphone with same videos (so at this point I'm ruling out network problem).

I got an email back from hulu tech support saying that my video graphics card (Mobile Intel Series 4 Chipset) was probably having compatability issues with the latest version of flash. He advised that I uninstall and re-install an older version of flash, version 10.2.159.1. I did that, restarted my computer. Still had the same issues.

Then last night I went to the adobe flash website. They had yet another version of flash, 10.3.181.34 (updated 6/28), stating that this newest version had addressed some compatability issues with video cards. I thought it was probably what was going on when I installed the last version so I uninstalled the older version (10.2.159.1) and re-installed flash with the next version 10.3.181.34. Still had the same issues.

I also updated the INF Utility 9.2.0.1030 (4/21/2011), I'm not sure what that is but it was part of the chipset driver utility package when I looked up drivers for my graphics card and system.

I've also disabled hardware accelerator in my player. Didn't work.

The only other thing I can think of is that my graphics card is damaged and has to be replaced. If this is the case, does anyone know where to get one?

If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

EE
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

You can try installing customized graphics drivers from your computer manufacturer because Intel offers generic versions available at

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

If the issue remains, you may want to contact your computer manufacturer and possible warranty service for your computer.

Allan.

0 Kudos