2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 5:29 PM by

Intel RAID Matrix limits

firehawk1

Hi. I am in a bit of a situation!

Background:

I have a great system already which has a 1x1TB HDD and has all my software on it including WS2008R2 Enterprise.

I use Acronis to take a backup of the entire disk and store it away safely so in the event of a disaster or new hardware migration, I can restore it.

I just spent ALOT of money on a new system which I have built. It has the Asus P6X58D-E mobo. I also purchased 2x2TB HDD and 1x3TB HDD (For backup). I was impressed with the performance that you can gain on RAID0 and thought why not?

So, being a newbie at RAID's, I was able to manage to create the RAID0 in the Intel Matrix utility (CTRL+I) and it shows the total storage as just under 4GB. Great.

Problem: "Status: Non bootable"

I thought this would be because it couldn't locate the OS. So anyway, I then used the Acronis Backup and recovery + Universal Restore to restore the image of the old system to the new system and for it to rebuild the HAL with the new drivers I supplied. It apperently did this but when I reboot, guess what? Cannot boot!

Not sure whats going on so after alot of searching, I am a little disappointed as I am a huge Intel fan and always have been a strong supporter and advise all my customers to purchase Intel mobos/chipsets as well as CPU's.

I discovered that it is NOT possible to create a RAID0 of a total capacity of more than 2TB which is bootable.

I know that Windows will have a problem seeing a bootable driver > 2.2TB but this is resolved by converting/creating a GPT partition however the problem here is in order to boot a GPT partition the system must support UEFI - this motherboard does not have UEFI support therefore, I cannot create/convert the bootable disk to a GPT partition.

So, I am stuck. What do I do? Why is there a limit?

I thought that RAID 0 would be seen as just a singular drive so it would only ever be shown as the size of 1 of the disks? (i.e in this case: 2TB) or am I mistaken?

Back to the problem: Is there a workaround? I do not want to have to install the OS manually along with migrating over all applications, updates etc... etc... as it will take me ALOT of time of which I don't have, and the reason why I am using Acronis Advanced Server for backup and restorations.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Intel RAID Matrix limits
          PeterUK

The only workaround is to create two volumes (Matrix RAID which is just a name so you can use Rapid Storage Technology drivers and get that support) with your two 2TB disk you can make the first volume upto 2TB or less say 1TB RAID 0 volume for the OS as MBR and a 3TB RAID 0 volume as storage formatted as GPT (you do not need UEFI to do this but as long as the OS supports GPT and you don't boot from it).

• 2. Re: Intel RAID Matrix limits

Thanks PeterUK.

sounds a little complicated. And because im using Acronis to try and restore data, it makes it difficult because that software is buggy as anything especially the new version 11.

I have now had to spend an extra £200 GBP on an SSD HDD which I will use as an OS and then somehow remap the docs/desktop etc... to the RAID 0 disk which will be GPT and only have the SSD as a bootable device for the OS.

such an inconvenience. Wish the motherboard manufacturer (ASUS P658XD-E) would supply UEFI as its BRAND NEW model (pretty much been on the market for a year now) and there is no reason they cannot.