1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 8:20 PM by guiliker

Sound disappears on computer unplug.

guiliker

I have been having sound problems for about three days now.

The problem started as:
      Switched on Windows XP Pro SP3 partition (at that point I was dual  booting with Ubuntu 11.04) on start-up I got an error message saying  "Sonic Focus driver must be loaded for this application to work". This  was meaningless to me until I realised that there was no sound and no  sound card in Device Manager>Sound Video and Game Controllers.

So I googled and I found a guide on an Intel page about reinstalling the  audio driver from disc. I can't find that page now but it was about  uninstalling the software via Add/Remove Programs, disabling audio in  the bios and reinstalling from CD. I attempted this but got an error  message "Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup  again" and it wouldn't install. I got mad thinking I had done something  wrong with the entire Windows installation and decided to do a fresh  install.

On fresh install from a XP Pro SP2 disc.

I switched off audio at the bios prior to the Windows Install and then  installed the device drivers from the Intel DQ965COE (D75503-001) disc  in the following order:
      1. Chipset INF [INF_ALLOS_8.0.1.1002_PC]
      2. Audio [5.10.5143_XP32_XP64_MCE_v1]
      3. LAN [LAN_11.1_ALLOS_PV]
      4. Video and something else through Device Manager

On attempting to install the Audio driver I got the same error message  as last time: "Device Object not present, restart the system and run  setup again". I then tried to install the new driver  [AUD_allOS_D20001.0x_PV_IDTGUI_v105_Legacy] from: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=13706&ProdId=2373&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20Professional*&DownloadType=Drivers This produced the following error message "The hardware detected is not  supported by this IDT software package. The install was aborted." I  tried re-anabling sound in the bios and then installing and had the same  error message.

I got annoyed with having no sound and so I installed an Audigy 2 sound  card (Model: SB0240, driver: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series driver  2.18.0017 from: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=149&prodName=Audigy%202&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_149,VARSET=CategoryID:1#) and I had sound. Then when I restarted and tried the Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD and there was no sound.

I restarted Windows and installed the Intel audio driver  [5.10.5143_XP32_XP64_MCE_v1] from disc. This worked and I had sound  through both the Audigy 2 card and the onboard Intel chip. Device  Manager showed a Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec under "Sound Video  and Game Controllers" however I forgot to print screen it so do not  have any further details. When I shutdown and took the Audigy 2 card out  of the PCI slot and restarted I still had sound. I then shutdown again  and switched on then I had no sound. The codec was no longer listed in  Device Manager and Device Manager was not recognising any uninstalled  devices.

When I attempted to re-install either of the Intel drivers I got the same error messages as they had previously given.

I shutdown and returned the Audigy 2 card to the PCI slot and switched  on; this time getting a shrill beep on any attempt to play sound. I then  installed the Intel driver [AUD_allOS_D20001.0x_PV_IDTGUI_v105_Legacy]  from the website which worked this time. I shutdown and removed the  Audigy 2 card. I switched on and had sound. I restarted and had sound. I  thought fixed! I removed the Audigy 2 software via Add/Remove Programs.  However when I shutdown and removed the electric plug of the computer  and restarted I once again had no sound and no sound card recognised in  Device Manager.

I returned the Audigy 2 card to the PCI slot and when I restart the  Intel driver reappears and sound works even after unplugging from the  electric.

So to sum it all up, I am confused and need help with:

1. Why won't the Intel software install unless the Audigy card is present?
      2. How come the Intel software remains after the Audigy card is removed,  but disappears either on shutdown and switch or after unplug?
      3. Where does the Intel software go when the Audigy card gets removed?

Given guidance I can provide any information needed to sort this.

from http://www.intel.com/support/siu.htm

SYSTEM INFORMATION
      Computer ManufacturerIntel Corporation
      Computer ModelDQ965CO
      Operating System (O/S)Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack  3
      Operating System Build (O/S)(build 2600)
      Operating System (version)5.1.2600
      O/S Language0809
      System RAM1005.8 MB
      .NET Framework Versionnot detected
      CD or DVD DeviceTSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D
      System Hard Drive Overview
      System Total Storage Size:29.4 GB
      Physical Drive0
      Maker
      ModelHDT722516DLA380
      Bus TypeATA
      Local Disk C:29.4 GB
      Used space:9.6 GB
      Free Space:19.8 GB
      Memory Detail
      Total Physical Memory1005.8 MB
      Available Physical Memory269.2 MB
      Total Virtual Memory2.0 GB
      MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
      ManufacturerIntel
      ModelDQ965CO
      AA NumberAAD46480-501
      BIOS VendorIntel Corp.
      BIOS VersionMQ96510J.54T.0013.2006.1009.1701
      BIOS Release Date10/09/06
      System Memory1005.8 MB
      Built-in Audio Driver  Componentnot detected
      Built-in Audio Driver  Version5.10.20001.0
      Built-in Audio Driver StatusDevice is unknown or unsupported
      Bios SoftwareBios Information

Message was edited by: guiliker

Message was edited by: guiliker

• 1. Re: Sound disappears on computer unplug.
          guiliker

I thought I should post the fix I have found. I've been trawling google for the various error messages and somehow happened upon this page: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-340889.html While I was not getting a "code 10" error I thought I'd try it and it worked!

This is what I did:
          Removed the Audigy 2 card, switched on and went to "C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM" and double clicked on suhlp.exe and selected "run anyway" when it said a disc was missing from the D:\ drive. Shutdown and switched on. It worked! I've unplugged twice and it is still working. I wonder if doing this would have solved the original error message "Sonic Focus driver must be loaded for this application to work"...