5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 3:35 PM by Flying_Kiwi

The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred

MuffinMan123

D945GCLF2

express Bios update LF94510J.86A for my desktop board,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18947&lang=eng&wapkw=%28LF94510J.86A%29

I got the error message "The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred" error code E9

this only happens during the bios update and no other time

I checked the bios version and it says I have version 0099.2008 which is even older than the last version I updated,

but when I log into windows I get a window saying update successful, what is going on? am I running the updated version or the old version?

• 1. Re: The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred
          Flying_Kiwi

Did you disable any antivirus software fully before attempting to flash the BIOS (especially important if you use the preferred Express method)? I've had the update say it had successfully worked before with my DG45ID when in fact it hadn't and this was the cause.

As for the CMOS Checksum message, is the coin cell/battery on the motherboard getting a bit long in the tooth - having one of these go flat may cause such problems as well as loosing the boards settings and time etc. Its an old enough board that if you haven't replaced the cell yet, now would be a good time to do so - they're cheap enough too.

• 2. Re: The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred
            MuffinMan123

so I disabled antivirus and changed the c2032 battery, and tried to update the bios again, and I am still getting the same error. is the bios chip broken?

• 3. Re: The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred
              Flying_Kiwi

MuffinMan123 wrote:

so I disabled antivirus and changed the c2032 battery, and tried to update the bios again, and I am still getting the same error. is the bios chip broken?

If the rest of the system works fine, it's very unlikely to have a failed BIOS or you'd really know about it! If you're sure the BIOS upgrade that you've downloaded and just tried (unsuccessfully) is not corrupt and downloaded fine (you could try redownloading it), the next thing to try would be to download a BIOS version that's slightly newer than what's currently installed on the board and try updating with that. Sometimes if the existing BIOS version is very old, the latest and greatest BIOS can't be immediately flashed onto the motherboard and an incremental approach must be used (via intermediate versions). The website should let you download these intermediate versions as well and once again make sure all antivirus software is disabled etc before starting to flash again. Also make sure that ALL non-essentials are unplugged from USB ports etc as sometimes these sorts of things can stop BIOS updates from running through. The idea is that the simpler the system is at the time of flashing, the less likely you will be to encounter any such problems. If you're using a UPS which has a USB connector for sensing, unplug the USB sensor and just use the power output while flashing.

Let us know how you get on trying that way.

• 4. Re: The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred
                MuffinMan123

here's how it goes for my bios

I 1st upgraded the thing to 229 successfully a year ago

and now 278 came out and I needed to reinstall windows so I thought I could upgrade the bios as well

I tried to flash to 278 but I got cmos checksum error instead and my bios version regressed to 0099 for reasons I don't understand

anyway, the EB method failed me so I went for the bios recovery method

I pulled the yellow pin from the board and did recovery flash my bios using a usb drive and the update completed with no errors

• 5. Re: The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occurred
                  Flying_Kiwi

MuffinMan123 wrote:

I tried to flash to 278 but I got cmos checksum error instead and my bios version regressed to 0099 for reasons I don't understand

That is weird but sometimes leaving antivirus enabled or having USB devices plugged in etc can have unusual effects on bios flashing. If it was all set up as it should be for BIOS flashing then I've no idea what would cause that. It seems that 0099 version may have been corrupt or something - perhaps that's why the 'Is dotted and Ts crossed' Express method didn't work (assuming you tried it incrementally) and the brute force recovery method was required....