1 2 3 4 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 3:37 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Intel D865GLC

eih_Lim@yahoo.com

Hi, the driver installer for win98se for the actual motherboard drivers doesn't work! Please help.

• 1. Re: Intel D865GLC
          Flying_Kiwi

If you're talking about the Motherboard Chipset drivers here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=950&DwnldID=14713&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+865+Chipset+Family+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+D865GLC&lang=eng , the file seemed to download and run OK here (although I didn't install it as I haven't that board/chipset, the exe still ran when I double clicked it. I suggest you re-download it and have another go - let us know (specifically - with any error messages etc) how that goes!

• 2. Re: Intel D865GLC

Okay, you sure you tested it under win98se? I shall redownload it and try again.

• 3. Re: Intel D865GLC
              Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

Okay, you sure you tested it under win98se? I shall redownload it and try again.

No I double clicked it on my Win 7 PC but it would be worth re-downloading it anyway (clearing your browser cache first). If it still fails to run, come back with the precise error details.

• 4. Re: Intel D865GLC

...what is this? The site is not letting me login!!! ?????????????????

Anyway, I took a screenshot of the error message, I got it - how do I attach the file onto my post? Or am I only allowed to do this if i am logged in?

• 5. Re: Intel D865GLC
                  Flying_Kiwi

While I'm logged in and preparing this reply, there's a button on the page toolbar which I've circled in the attached screenshot which lets you attach a picture. Just save the sceen shot as a jpg file and use that. Not sure if you need to be logged in to get it so if you don't have that then log in and you will.Screenshot.jpg

• 6. Re: Intel D865GLC

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! The button's greyed out! I can't click on it!!!! The picture is in a 8-bit bitmap file. What do I do???What do I do???

• 7. Re: Intel D865GLC
                      Flying_Kiwi

Log in first (as already discussed). If the system still isn't letting you then double check you've been using the correct username and password and if so then use Intels support options to contact them about website problems. You could also try using a Cyber cafe or friends computer to post (and just take the screenshot with you on a USB drive or similar). Good luck.

• 8. Re: Intel D865GLC

Checked, and checked, now I just need a reply from Intel... Ah screw it, I can't wait for a reply that's not going to come, here's the link for the picture I uploaded on photobucket: http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/Gamer48/ErrorthatcomeswheninstallingmobodriversinWin98se.jpg

My Win98se seems to be acting quite strangely at the moment....

• 9. Re: Intel D865GLC
                          Flying_Kiwi

If you are using an external drive (such as a USB pendrive or similar) to contain the driver then put it on the systems hard disk drive and try from there instead. I note that the system is in safe mode so if the issues are so bad as to prevent you booting into Windows normally then it's definitely time to make a backup and consider a basic reinstall and trying again once that is up and running. Just to confirm it is the SE (second edition) version of Win 98 that you're running isn't it because the original Win 98 is a different beast and I think it won't be supported.

Sorry, I went off track and treated this as a BIOS flashing error - post edited accordingly

• 10. Re: Intel D865GLC

No, I tried to install the motherboard drivers via HDD... Yep, it didn't let me boot up into normal mode...even shutting down the computer takes forever!!! I usually force shut it or restart it because it won't shut down within an appropriate time considering the fact that it's freshly installed! Win98se is newer and should therefore be able to handle the newer installers... Maybe someone make a installer that will work with win98se?

I have reinstalled, freshly, Windows 98 SE on the computer; the setup went alright, but when it comes to installing the drivers and shutting down/restarting it just hangs?! All the drivers are installed via CD as the USB ports don't work and floppy disks wouldn't be reasonable... Is it because of too much RAM? CPU is too new for Win98se? or is there something else that is screwing with the shutdown process? I tried installing the *Unofficial* SP for Win98se in hope that that will fix the hang while trying to restart/shutown - it didn't...

• 11. Re: Intel D865GLC
                              Flying_Kiwi

So this PC (with its current hardware) has never worked right? If you cobbled together all the bits then how do you know one (or more) component parts aren't faulty or incompatible? You'll need to have a read of the relevant parts on Intels website which cover compatibility for CPUs and memory on this motherboard. What is the history of this hardware and is it an Intel branded board or an OEM board? If its the latter, you probabaly won't be able to use the Intel BIOS but will need one from the OEM. If this is too complicated then it may be money well spent to get a computer shop to fix things for you (of find a tech savvy friend who'll do so).

Sorry, it's a driver issue and NOT BIOS related - I went off track

• 12. Re: Intel D865GLC

No, before it still worked, I just downgraded back to Windows 98 Second Edition... mainly because some games that were designed to run on older OSs, like Win95, doesn't work in XP even with the compatibility setting checked... I am quite sure the hardware isn't faulty as it worked perfectly fine under XP... the drivers from Intel's site should work, shouldn't it? You do know what the exact problem is, do you?

Do you know what this means: http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/Gamer48/Memmoryquestion.jpg? Could this contribute to hanging shutdowns and restarts.

• 13. Re: Intel D865GLC
                                  Flying_Kiwi

Ok so that answers the question about whether all of this hardware has worked together in the past, what about the OEM vs retail motherboard issue? Is the PC branded and if so, what is the BIOS designation for the motherboard. Things like the USB ports not working and Hard drives being in MS-DOS compatibility mode can be explained by the correct motherboard chipset drivers (and in the case of USB 2.0, operating system patches) not having been loaded yet.

You mentioned the PC used to have XP installed, how did you downgrade to Win 98 SE... if it was just put in the Win 98 SE installation CDROM while on the XP desktop, that's not the way to go. I'd use a HDD eraser (such as HDD Guru) to wipe the drive totally clean first (zero fill it) before booting from the Win 98 SE CDROM and commencing the installation. The drivers should work with Win 98 SE if you have a retail Intel board (and often they'll work with OEM boards as well). If it turns out you have an OEM board, your best source for the chipset drivers would be that motherboards provider however (ie the OEMs website).

• 14. Re: Intel D865GLC

Ok so that answers the question about whether all of this hardware has worked together in the past, what about the OEM vs retail motherboard issue? Is the PC branded and if so, what is the BIOS designation for the motherboard.

I have no idea if the PC I got is branded or not, I just got it from my friend who didn't want it anymore who forgot who he got it from or bought it from...

Things like the USB ports not working and Hard drives being in MS-DOS compatibility mode can be explained by the correct motherboard chipset drivers (and in the case of USB 2.0, operating system patches) not having been loaded yet.

Well, I think the obvious answer to that is to get that intel express installer working for Win98se!

You mentioned the PC used to have XP installed, how did you downgrade to Win 98 SE... if it was just put in the Win 98 SE installation CDROM while on the XP desktop, that's not the way to go. I'd use a HDD eraser (such as HDD Guru) to wipe the drive totally clean first (zero fill it) before booting from the Win 98 SE CDROM and commencing the installation.

I did a fresh installation of Win98se, meaning I backed up whatever I wanted on that HDD before XP was wiped clean. Then I deleted the partition using Fdisk, created one partition using the same program, restarted, formatted using the format command and installed Win98se from after that.

The drivers should work with Win 98 SE if you have a retail Intel board (and often they'll work with OEM boards as well). If it turns out you have an OEM board, your best source for the chipset drivers would be that motherboards provider however (ie the OEMs website).

Well, apparently it didn't....

1 2 3 4 Previous Next