Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Can you change MAC address with Intel wifi adaptor??

idata
Employee

I tried all ways to change MAC address, like editing registry, using software....but it doesn't work.

Ah, my wifi adaptor is Intel wifi link 5100 agn. Is anyone who using this adaptor?? I just want to change MAC address to my Iphone's.

3 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Why would you want to do that?

If your iphone and your computer have the same MAC address on the same network, neither will work correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Despite the age of this post, the issue remains pertinent.

YES, it can be done but not as easily as it used to be on older versions of Windows such as 2000 and 2003 Server.

The myriad of utilities which may or may not successfully change the 5100 MAC create a Registry key and new address value.

Finding the correct location will vary based on your system, if you're leery of navigating the Registry or unable to find your adapter in that haze of configuration data, you can just as easily locate it by using Registry Editors search function for the name of your Intel WiFi adapter:

1. Open a DOS window ( cmd prompt )

2. enter ipconfig /all PRESS THE ENTER KEY

3. Take note of your WiFi adapter's description, mine was found as:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

4. Using Registry Editor's search function, query for Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN or whatever your adapter's description is. The search ISN'T case sensitive but preserve any spaces if you aren't copying and pasting the description from the DOS window. 

It is commonly located in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0010 (OrEquivalent)

Create a new String Value NetworkAddress case insensitive, NO SPACES

Create a new ValueEntryData which should conform to HEXADECIMAL standards but WITHOUT COLONS.

example: NetworkAddress DEADBEEFCAFE

You may have to disable and re-enable your WiFi adapter for the change to become apparent, you won't have to reboot the system but feel free to do so if disabling and restarting the adapter fails. Using the external On/Off switch such as the WiFi slider found on ThinkPad's and VaiO laptops won't satisfactorily disable/re-enable the adapter.

Important: Windows XP Service Pack 2 and later, Vista and Windows 7 users have reported success when setting the first of six pairs as 12 or anything which isn't 00. Your results may vary.

If the aforementioned instructions such as using the Registry Editor or command shell are indiscernible or unfamiliar, then it is unlikely you are truly prepared to perform this modification and you should also determine further the reasons you have to change your MAC address. Spoofing a MAC address is very similar to using an alias and for legitimate, albeit narrow purposes.

Spare me from the criticisms and innuendos of why anyone would need to MAC spoof. The reasons are varied and legitimate, too many to discuss on this forum, but spoofing a MAC is temporary and ineffective if your WiFi adapter is used in a different context such as with a different operating system other than the Windows Registry you just modified or during a PXE session.

Hope this info helps.

Message was edited by: EagleSpear

0 Kudos