13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 1:21 PM by ouch

Bios Recovery d915gux problem

ouch

Using the bios recovery floppy update EVO482P.BIOS does not completely recover the bios. It worked before and now it does not work anymore. I tried another floppy and got the same results.

What is not correct in the bios is that the optical drive is not in the Boot Device Priority any more.

It got initially removed from an attempt to install Linux. The Linux install failed. The first time I recovered the bios the optical drive appeared on recovery. I tried a second attempt at Linux and installation failed again.  I was able to recover the bios again. Another attempt at Linux failed and now I cannot recover the bios as before.

FYI: I disconnected the power, removed the jumper, inserted diskette, powered on, waited until it turned self off, removed diskette, replaced jumper and powered back up.

In the bios under Advanced Drive Configuration the optic is noticed and under Boot Removable Devices the optic is noticed too. The optical is just not being noticed in the Boot Device Priority.

• 1. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
          Flying_Kiwi

If the board allows booting from USB drives why not use a pendrive/thumbdrive to recover the BIOS?

How many times have you needed to recover the BIOS and why - normally this shouldn't be required at all (even without Windows)?

• 2. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
            Curious592

The 915gux is on the list of compatible boards for linux.  Like my 915gev it may be particular in exactly how the installation is attempted.  Are you using Ubuntu or some other version?  The BIOS is apt to correct itself in time but it's best to follow certain procedures.   Moving the port for the optical may correct it temporarily.

• 3. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
              ouch

The only hardware noticed in the boot priorities will be a HDD, floppy and an optical.

When installation fails I need to start over. Starting over requires the optical drive to work.

OS is Debian from cd a net install. If the BIOS come back in time Slackware 13.37 has been suggested as an easy alternative install.

(This is a first time Linux install and I'm used to having the disk do everything without problems arising).

Moving the port? If the drive isn't recognized in boot priority how would moving the port help?

Also, is there a guarantee moving the port will work?

• 4. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                Flying_Kiwi

So if there isn't even the option of booting to a USB drive in the BIOS settings (many boards need this to be enabled before it'll work) then the only other thing I can think of trying is to try a different floppy drive or floppy disk (they don't last long and get easily corrupted) or swap the port as already suggested by Curious (or even just the cable).

When you're talking less than 5 minutes in most cases to open up a case, unplug a SATA cable from one motherboard port and plug it into another, what harm is there in trying? I can't give you a guarantee it'll make a difference but good luck finding someone who honestly can!

• 5. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                  ouch

Looking into the BIOS I have seen something to the effect of enabling a flash drive. Appears by default, the bios doesn't allow the flash drive boot priority. I have currently waited it out and have tried another floppy bios recovery and the BIOS have been recovered. Looks as though a BIOS recovery is stressful on the chip. Thanks for the information on a flash boot enable as I intend to use this sometime in the future and also thanks for the wait information as patience is a blessing.

• 6. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                    Curious592

My notes on installing Linux are quite sparse but it appears the DVD provided with the book had problems.  "Ubuntu 6.01 install from DVD on VHD of NTFS G drive.  Couldn’t see entire menu to set focus on location menu even reverting to 1280x1024 from 1024x1280 so used Safe Video mode."  This must have a been a Virtual PC 2007 installation, not a dual-boot.  I'm sure I did another installation on a C drive at some time with the same problem.  Downloading a newer version was not feasible at the time with a dial-up connection.  That probably would have required creating a DVD for installation as well.

I haven't seen your problem of drive priority but it would be a good idea to get that working before further installation attempts, although I've fixed a port recognition problem after installation of Win 7.

• 7. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                      Flying_Kiwi

ouch wrote:

Looks as though a BIOS recovery is stressful on the chip.

Indeed it is as the EEPROM only has a limited number of times it can be written to reliably. You should not NEED to be recovering BIOSs on this elderly board at regular intervals. I'm not a Linux expert (only ever tried it once myself and that was unsuccessful due to graphics chip incompatibility) but why do you believe you need to recover the BIOS and when? Now you have the latest BIOS version installed (or at least the version you've settled on), you should NOT need to flash or recover the BIOS again just to reinstall an OS - if I'm missing something, please feel free to educate me accordingly!

• 8. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                        ouch

When Linux OS is being installed for some reason it changes the Bios and the optical drive becomes useless. Being that the OS is still not installed due to an error and I have to try again, I need the drive as it is the media being installed from. It's educational and frustrating to say the least.

• 9. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                          Curious592

A quick search of optical drive compatibility with linux produces the usual maybe not all are.  It would be a good time to get an external USB optical drive.  My next drive will be.  Copy protection could be an issue though.  As kiwi mentioned, the cable should be a suspect, rare as that may be.  It might help to update the BIOS since forcing with the BIOS recovery overcomes any problems determined in the system.  Try that with a new cable.

• 10. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                            Flying_Kiwi

ouch wrote:

When Linux OS is being installed for some reason it changes the Bios and the optical drive becomes useless. Being that the OS is still not installed due to an error and I have to try again, I need the drive as it is the media being installed from. It's educational and frustrating to say the least.

You still shouldn't need to recover the BIOS every time you install Linux - something else is definitely wrong! Does selecting load default values (within the BIOS setting options) not restore functionality again? If not then (assuming you already have the newest BIOS version installed), you'll need to investigate drive compatibility as Curious already mentioned. Constant BIOS flashing/restoring will take its toll eventually!

• 11. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                              ouch

I agree, something is definitely wrong.

Prior installations have been Net Install CD's of Debian and one attempt at a Slackware 13.37 installation that is more involved. All of these installation attempts have proved to alter the Bios at some point.

I have decided to settle on the Ubuntu 8.04.1 DVD install. The other installs have been net install with the exception of slackware that requires being an expert.

Currently, I have made use of the Ubuntu Live install and everything works including the optical drive. Interesting how the Live install does not change the Bios. Before installation it says: Try Ubuntu without any changes to your computer. Do changes include a Bios mod? Since the Live worked, I decided to install on the HDD and failure has stopped the installation.

Failure has resulted from the flutterations of the DVD disc read at high speed...failure to read error was noted. The DVD is warped. Checking the Bios, Ubuntu install has altered the Bios. Please note the optical drive is compatible under Live as it was shown in menu.

I have downloaded the ISO image of 8.04.1 so as to burn a new DVD. It appears as though this install may finish being that the Live install worked. I have yet to try the USB. I have noted that the USB is enabled for Boot but does not come under Boot Drive Priority. Perhaps a remote optical is needed to be noticed here and when funds are available will be considered.

Does selecting load default values work for bios recovery: No.

Drive compatibility: Yes, with Live install so far.

Bios Recovery: Unplug the PC, remove the battery and wait. Wait time: exact time not known, I try next day and Bios recover.

Cable replacement: Not tried yet. Need to locate a ribbon or a remote drive which sounds the better solution if it will be noticed by the bios.

Jokingly, I may have better odds at winning the lottery than installing a Linux OS, LOL.

• 12. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                                Curious592

I had noticed that some motherboards actually had a separate BIOS for Linux.  That would be problematic for multi-boot configurations or frequent changes of operating systems.  I have a need for Microsoft systems so Linux was pretty much abandoned.  Be sure to remove the jumper when doing a BIOS recovery, which should be seldom as mentioned.

• 13. Re: Bios Recovery d915gux problem
                                  ouch

Once again, failure has happened. Linux Ubuntu did install live. But, upon install from the desktop icon the window installing system freezes at 33% of copying the files.

Upon checking the Bios, the Optical is no longer noticed in Boot Priority. A Bios restore is needed again to make use of the drive to install any OS.

Conclusion: Best to find a motherboard that supports Linux. I have tried Debian 3.1 and also Ubuntu 8.04.1 and both have failed. While some expert should be able to get Linux working, I have decided not to use Intel's D915GUX motherboard. Intel's product guide says that the supported operating systems are Windows 2000 and XP only. I am aware of Intel showing drivers for Linux, but if it takes a specific Linux distro and an expert to install it's not for me to use this motherboard.  End-Of-Topic for me.