Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN connection timeouts

idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

Recently, I received an ordered Alienware m17x R3 with an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN wireless card.

It's been about a week and although things have mostly been running smoothly, the wireless card is consistently dropping my connection.

As far as I can tell, this is an isolated problem with my computer, as the other computers in the house aren't experiencing a connection drop

at the same time as my Alienware. The drops increase in frequency if I attempt to do any online gaming or high-bandwidth activities.

I have tried several methods to remedy this: I've updated the drivers directly from this website, I've made sure that the power transfer setting is off

for the card, I've tried switching around the prefered channel bond, I've tried moving closer to the modem (although, unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to

directly hook a wire into it - this is a wireless connection problem), I've tried lowering and raising performance settings and I've opened up exceptions to all my firewalls.

It doesn't make sense. I have an "excellent" connection and my ping is perfect in any program I use, but then every minute or so the connection just flatlines for a good 20-30 seconds.

Any suggestions or ideas is extremely appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm experiencing the same problem...at least once a day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've found the solution to my problem in a different thread based on a different model of wireless card. For an odd reason, having 802.11n mode activated was short-circuiting my card and causing it to shut off every 2-3 minutes. Try disabling that mode and see if it fixes your problem. Otherwise, I can only suggest making sure your drivers are up to date, that the problem isn't associated with your modem/router or that maybe you should try reinstalling the card.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your good, I enjoyed a lot and I will come back to the track again in the near future.

http://www.47inchhdtv.com 47 inch hdtv

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem on a precision 6600 laptop.

Haven't resolved it yet. I installed the most recent drivers from the intel site and am still having the same problem. Nothing that requires a persistent network connection will work properly, though I can browse the web intermittently. It seems to happen every few minutes.

Intel suggested settings to disable Power State Polling aren't available in the newest drivers, at least not for me.

I'm about to call dell and demand they send a new card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Maysys,

Have you tried turning off 802.11n mode? Your problem sounds very similar to mine and that's what solved my frequent time outs. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The thing is, I kinda want N mode to work. I bought the card for its bandwidth.

0 Kudos