Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual-band WiFi Upgrade for ThinkPad Edge E420

idata
Employee

I recently purchased a pre-configured ThinkPad Edge E420 Core i3 -- equipped with Lenovo's most-basic WiFi card. Now, I need to add dual 2.4 / 5.0 GHz capability to this new E420.

Will the retail version of Intel Centrino-N 6250 (part # 622ANXHMW) be recognized by the ThinkPad BIOS & supported natively thru Lenovo driver updates, same as the Lenovo version of this part -- FRU 60Y3195? (My reason for asking? The Lenovo "FRU" part is ~ 6x more expensive than the widely-available Centrino-N 6250 retail version -- Gasp!)

Also, I don't intend to use the 6250 WiMAX (802.16e) feature, so I don't want the card wasting my bandwidth & my patience, by discovering & reporting on available WiMAX access points... Will that feature stay dormant & out of the way, unless or until I elect to use it in the future?

I hope that I'm being needlessly cautious, but I was spooked by seeing numerous references stating that the similar Intel Centrino-N 6200/6205 are NOT compatible with Lenovo ThinkPads...

My sincere TIA to all who choose to respond!

/d.

0 Kudos
0 Replies