13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 7:38 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)

guidol

I apologize for the long post in advance

Hi, I bought an DH67CF board with I3 2100 CPU to build a HTPC. After I received the parts I assembled the PC and installed Windows 7 Home Ultimate. From that moment on the system behaves unstable.

Here is a complete list of the parts I used:

Lian Li PC-Q09B
      Intel DH67CFB3
      Intel Core i3 2100 Boxed
      Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9
      Samsung 640GB Spinpoint M7
      Samsung DVD Slim Slot-In SATA
      Netgear WNDA3100
      AnySee C30 Plus DVB-C tuner

Some examples of unstable behavior are; Blue screens, programs are closed without reason, with the first Windows install and the latest video driver I experienced parts of the screen flash with garbage especially where something is re-drawn (drop down menus, progress bars). The second Windows install uses a video driver from windows update, now the glitches are gone.

This system can't function as a home theater solution for my family because it is crashing two or three times on one evening watching TV with it.

I Used Windows 7 memory diagnostics but didn't find anything wrong.

Volt levels in BIOS Hardware monitoring don't show anything out of the ordinary.

The system temperature doesn't come above 50 degrees celcius.

I installed the laters BIOS version.

The system shows unstable behavior even without the wireless adapter and tuner installed.

The Lian Li case uses a 120 Watt power adapter like a laptop. I assumed 120 Watt is enough to power my configuration. Is my assumption not right?

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong here?

I suspect the DH67CF board to be at fault but I can't proof it. I requested a RMA with the supplier for it already.

I would love to hear anyone's thought on this.

• 1. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
          Flying_Kiwi

GCM van Loon wrote:

Hi, I bought an DH67CF board with I3 2100 CPU to build a HTPC. After I received the parts I assembled the PC and installed Windows 7 Home Ultimate.

Windows 7 Home Ultimate - how did you source that? Is it a known good DVD from a trusted source - I've only heard of Win 7 Home Premium or Win 7 Ultimate but not a combination of the two so maybe someones given you something you weren't expecting that could be to blame? What ESD precautions did you use while assembling the system? I presume you checked that memory is compatible for the motherboard? I'm using Corsair memory with my DG45ID and although the particular modules are not on the list of 'approved' memory, it is the same spec as that which is approved and I've had absolutely no problems with it. Your user manual for the board will detail this.

You mentioned allowing the Windows system to auto-update drivers, do you know how to download all of the correct drivers from Intels site for your motherboard and manually install them in the correct order? Although Windows 7s own (native on the DVD) or Windows update drivers sometimes work better than the Intel provided ones (eg the current/latest Intel IDT Audio drivers have issues with S/PDIF TOSLINK output and the Microsoft provided ones don't), that's rarely the case and to get the most stable system you should generally use the latest and greatest off the manufacturers website for your specific product.

I note on the 'compatible processors' list for your board http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DH67CF that you must have a minimum BIOS version so you should check that and upgrade if required (the Express method is the easiest).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
            guidol

I meant Win 7 Home Premium, sorry for the confusion.

Where can i find the list to check if my memory is compatible? Is just plain and simple 4GB Single Module 1333MHz Unbuffered CL 9-9-9 1.5V DDR3 DIMM.

I Know how to download drivers from intels site. I've used all the latest drivers. The first time the latest video driver gave me a hard time, so the second time I stuck with the driver from windows update, it seems te be the same driver from intel though.

I've updated the bios with the lates version through some tool on the intel web site. I've read somewhere else this tool gives a false positive sometimes. Meaning it says it has updated but in reality it didn't I've to check the actual bios version to verify it is actually updated correctly. Will check that when I get home in about 8 hours.

Anything on the power supply? is 120 Watt enough?

• 3. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
              Flying_Kiwi

GCM van Loon wrote:

Anything on the power supply? is 120 Watt enough?

A look at the individual bus voltages in Intel Desktop Utilities (freely available to download off Intels website if you haven't already got it) will tell you that. Normally mini-ITX PSUs are rated much lower than regularly sized case PSUs these days so I wouldn't automatically think that was a problem.

Re the memory, have a search of Intels site for approved memory and check the product doumentation for memory specs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                guidol

I think I'm familliar with the Intel Desktop Utilities. Is it that tool were you can monitor CPU temperature and fan speeds? I did not see any voltages there. What do I have to look for when I can see the bus voltages? Could you eleborate?

This is one other thing i like to try when I get back home.

• 5. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                  Flying_Kiwi

You'll need to check your system time as your reply came through as timed before my post (are you clairvoyant?) Here's my IDU screenshot of the relevant screen - do you not get this as well? Some boards allow monitoring of different features by IDU but I was hoping you could at least check Voltages in there - if not, try looking for 3rd party software that may allow this.IDU.jpg

• 6. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                    guidol

I installed Intel Desktop Utilities and can tell you the Volt levels of my system. Why can't I insert a pretty image like you?

+12 Volts = 12,230

+5 Volts = 5,150

+3.3 Volts = 3,370

SDRAM Vcc = 1,470 (kind of low for 1.5V Volt DDR3 or not, The BIOS has a 0.4 threshold configured for under voltage...)

Processor Vcc = 0,980

PCH Vcc = 1,050

My system time is fine. I'm in the netherlands perhaps this forum doesn't account for GMT time zones or one of this forum's servers has a wrong time setting...

• 7. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                      guidol

Can confirm my BIOS is up to date with the latest version (BLH6710H.86A.0122.2011.0601.1554) So that is ruled out as well.

• 8. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                        guidol

My memory should be ok. I couldn't find a list of "Approved memory" But the specs are clear on this: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh67cf/sb/CS-031961.htm

remember: I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics like 20 times in a row without a problem.

On corsair.com I've come up with a compatibility list for this board:

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1873033

My memory is listed as well (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9). Now I'm absolutely sure my choice of memory was good.

found a compatibility list for this board: GCM van Loon

• 9. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                          Flying_Kiwi

GCM van Loon wrote:

My memory should be ok. I couldn't find a list of "Approved memory" But the specs are clear on this: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh67cf/sb/CS-031961.htm

remember: I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics like 20 times in a row without a problem.

That board is set up to run at its best with a dual channel memory configuration using interleaving so do you have 2 modules (using both slots) or just one? If you are going to be running x64 Windows on it, is adding a second identical module an option (otherwise can you change a single 4 GB module to 2 x 2 GB ones for x86 use)? Personally I wouldn't trust Windows Memory Diagnostics for heavy duty memory testing such as this (even running it 20 times) a dedicated DOS program might be a better option.

• 10. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                            guidol

Yes, you are right. I know this board is optimized for two dimms, but it also says in the manual that one module is possible in bank 1. I've got 1 4GB DIMM in bank1. I don't have any other DIMMS laying around to test your theory. For that I would have to buy new ones, I've asked the shop to swap but I have to wait for an anwser...

I'm running memtest86 on de 1 4GB module as I write this but so far no errors and one complete test run passed...

What I need to know most now is whether or not I should RMA this board. Because I'm afraid that when I do they will find nothing wrong with it... What are my chances?

Thanx again

• 11. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                              Flying_Kiwi

I strongly suspect a replacement mainboard would do exactly the same thing. The fact that the board is principally meant for dual channel use means more people will be using it that way and so issues in that configuration are more likely to be picked up and resolved in BIOS updates etc. If  the supplier swaps your  1 x 4 GB module for 2 x 2 GB ones and then they give the same results, THEN I'd be considering RMA. If you have 64 bit Win 7 (which can take advantage of more than 4 GB) then the simple (although not free) solution may be to tell your memory supplier about you problem and see if they'll sell you a second identical 4 GB module on the condition that it resolves this problem.

• 12. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                                guidol

I want to thank you for your help. I've received the new memory yesterday and my system is running perfectly stable ever since. I've got 2x2GB dimm's this time so both slots are used instead of just one. I'm very pleased with my system now.

Thank you!

• 13. Re: Unstable system with DH67CF (B3)
                                  Flying_Kiwi

Glad to have helped and glad you've now got it working to your satisfaction Theoretically it should have worked with 1 x 4 GB DIMM but in practice, theory often goes out the window - especially in rarely used environments. As well as being far more stable, your 2 x 2 GB modules will also mean the system runs faster than it would have with only one DIMM.