Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Trouble connecting to the internet with "intel my wifi"

idata
Employee

I am trying to set up my computer and the intel my wifi so i can connect my ipod touch to the internet. I have set up a network and everything to connect my ipod to, and when on my ipod it shows that I am connected to the network i have set up with the my wifi. However, when i try to use the internet on the ipod, it says it cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet! Am i setting up the wifi network wrong? I have the "filter network traffic" disabled.

Thanks!!!

Jon

5 Replies
RKell3
New Contributor I

Jon,

If you use these http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/networking_internet_wireless/recommended-wireless-router-settings.aspx Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11, you can connect your iPod Touch to your network without using My WiFi Technology. A direct connecting is always better.

Rick

idata
Employee

I am also having this issue, the iPod says it is connected but can't access the internet i think this is a problem with My Wifi as I havent had success with any devices using this software. Rick, this is not applicable if you dont have a wireless router for example I want to use this where i only have access to an ethernet connection and then using my laptop as a wifi hotspot to connect my iPod and other devices, that dont have ethernet ports, to the internet. So does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Tom,

Did you try adding the device before clicking on the share my internet?

I clicked on share my internet first and got an error message. I guess you can share it but the device needs to be added first. Just thinking, your virus program and firewall might try to block the communications.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a similiar problem here with my LG Optimus Black (Android 2.2.2). I connect to the work place network thorugh a wired connection and want to relay the internet connection to my phone with My Wifi. Weirdly enough though, the day connecting to the internet over My Wifi DID work.

The device is reported to be connected on both sides, but the devices seem to have trouble communicating: Pinging the phone would sometimes give results, though 130ms seem extremly much at a distance of 30 centimeters. Many timeouts, sometimes "target host is not available". Pinging to the My Wifi from the phone doesn't work either; Neither with open wireless nor WPA2-PSK.

Also I noted, that the My Wifi profile sets the DHCP net to 192.168.16.*, which got overwritten by Windows to 192.168.137.* (indeed the My Wifi adapter had the IP 192.168.137.1 and the phone 192.168.137.64 or others from the range). Changing the profile to conform with this Windows decision didn't help either.

So basically I CAN connect the phone to My Wifi, but after that nothing can be transmitted.

Example ping output (german, sorry):

Ping wird ausgeführt für 192.168.137.121 mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Antwort von 140.78.200.140: Zielnetz nicht erreichbar.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Antwort von 192.168.137.121: Bytes=32 Zeit=134ms TTL=64Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Antwort von 192.168.137.1: Zielhost nicht erreichbar.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Antwort von 140.78.200.140: Zielnetz nicht erreichbar.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.Antwort von 192.168.137.121: Bytes=32 Zeit=250ms TTL=64

*EDIT* ... or so I thought. I had a ping running for a while (ping -t 192.168.137.121 on Windows console), and suddenly it worked. Then I tried disconnecting and reconnecting again. Yet again it did NOT work.

A `tracert' call showed, that sometimes the appropriate direct connection is tried, failing to receive an answer, and sometimes the routing tries to find the device's IP in the wired network (which surprisingly actually worked, so I suppose the routing went awkwardly through the work place network and back).

After some time again pinging was possible, though the response time still varied between 40 and 300 ms.

Then I tried enabling "Filter network traffic". Sadly this had no impact on that behaviour.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do not have a wireless router, that is why I am trying to set up the intel my wifi and use my computer as the router...

0 Kudos