4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 3:09 PM by

DH67CF does not read EDID monitor info when connected to VGA port

nicokrs

Hi all,

My DH67CF motherboard is connected to a LCD monitor via DVI to VGA adaptor.

Problem is that EDID data is not read, resulting in "not plug and play monitor" in windows.

It was working OK with DG45SG motherboard.

I tried 3 different monitors and DVI-VGA adaptors but it still does not work on the newer DH67CF.

EDID data is working very well with DVI and HDMI, but it seems that it is not working at all on VGA.

Does anybody know why it is not working on VGA ?

• 1. Re: DH67CF does not read EDID monitor info when connected to VGA port

I have a similar issue with a DVI-A/VGA adaptor on this motherboard. I know the monior is capable of sending a valid EDID but the operating system (Ubuntu) fails to get one  or gets one that it considers to be invalid. Windows 7 also fails to obtain monitor information. I wonder if it's possible that DVI/VGA adaptors are incapable of passing back the EDID from the monitor. Have you been able to establish that the EDID is succesfully received when you use a different  motherboard with the same monitor and the same set of DVI/VGA adaptors?

• 2. Re: DH67CF does not read EDID monitor info when connected to VGA port
            nicokrs

Yes, it worked before with this adaptor and VGA monitor (Philips 150S4) on an older miniITX Intelboard (DG45FC)

With exactly the same Win7 64 bit OS. If I try Dell 1907 monitor on DVI then it works OK

On DVI and HDMI I have no problems reading the EDID data.

I tried 3 different EDID capable monitors on VGA but it does not work.

I' m sure that is not the DVI/VGA adaptor because the data and clock pins are passed through on the adaptor.

What I did not try yet is special software program to read the EDID data from the monitor.

After I installed the motherboard I did BIOS upgrade to v122 so I do not know if it helps to try older BIOS.

Did you try other VGA monitors or only that one?

• 3. Re: DH67CF does not read EDID monitor info when connected to VGA port

I just have one monitor unfortunately - it's a Samsung SyncMaster 2243. On Windows XP with a VGA connection on my old motherboard it is successfully discovered as a "SyncMaster".

I'm on the same version of the BIOS as you, but I did try a couple of older versions. Sorry, but I can't remember which ones I tried now - and a couple I tried were blacklisted and didn't install. One was as old as 2010 and I don't think it fixed the problem. To be completely clear - I can't be 100% sure that the EDID issue *wasn't* fixed by the BIOS downgrade because this is't specifically what I'm trying to sort out. The problem I'm having is a blank login screen in Ubuntu, which I believe is caused by the EDID problem. I can say that none of the BIOS versions I tried fixed the black screen. I'm 99% sure that the OS is failing to get a valid EDID because the log file reports that this is the case.

So, if it is possible to read the EDID though the DVI/VGA adaptor, then it does seem likely to be something to do wlith the motherboard or BIOS. It must be worth trying an older BIOS, but it's not something I like to do very often. As mentioned, I think I tried about 4 versions but 2 were blacklisted.

• 4. Re: DH67CF does not read EDID monitor info when connected to VGA port

Checking my Recycle Bin, it looks like I tried at least BIOS v98, v119 and v105. I'm not sure which versions were blacklisted.