1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 4:22 PM by geogherkins

Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard

rich778

Processor is 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz, Intel  Em64T compliant.  BIOS is MQ96510J.86A.1687.2007.0510.0258

Running compatible Kingston KH6400D2LL2/2g, I GB, each slot,  matched memory, 1.8 V  in slots:  A slot 0 and B slot 0.  Worked fine for 2 years using Windows XP.  Upgraded to Windows Home Premium 7, 64 bit, no problem.  Also, MOBO has Intel Matrix RAID 1 (Mirrored) software.

When I added KH6400D2LL2/4g, 2 GB, each slot, matched memory to slots: A slot 1 and B slot 1, (OK according to page 20 of MOBO Manual), I received a blue screen with this error message "Stop 0X000000F7......." "A driver has overrun a stack based buffer..."

When I checked the BIOS menu, it confirmed that the system now has 6 GB of memory.  After I removed the new memory and rebooted, Windows was unable to fix the problem without using a restore set point.  I did not lose any data.

I tried using the Intel BIOS updater scanner, but it failed to work by shutting down Internet Explorer.  I tried installing the Java based software fix for this problem, but that failed to install.  I also suspended my N360 firewall and anti-virus software without success.

My question is:   Are there known issues with the old BIOS?  I would not feel comfortable flashing a new BIOS, possibly creating new issues, without first being able to use the Intel scanner.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

• 1. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
          Flying_Kiwi

rich778 wrote:

My question is:   Are there known issues with the old BIOS?  I would not feel comfortable flashing a new BIOS, possibly creating new issues, without first being able to use the Intel scanner.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

In a word YES! (and many of them). See for yourself here in the BIOS Release Notes PDF here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2375&DwnldID=17153&keyword=%22DG965WH%22&lang=eng

That document lists all the fixes in the (many) newer versions than you have on your board. If you follow the instructions to the letter in the Readme.pdf file you shouldn't experience any problems although I'm not sure the Express method of updating (the easiest) will work with Win 7 with that particular file as that's a very old updater designed for older OSs - you could give it a try though. Make sure you back up ALL valuable data to external media before any attempt at flashing a BIOS though!

• 2. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I am still hesitant performing a BIOS update for the following reasons--

1.  There are 78 fixes in 13 updates of BIOS from BIOS 1687 to 1754.  Not one of these fixes mentions memory fixes.

2.  Microsoft says the DG965WH is compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit.  Even though this OS supports 16GB of RAM, the drivers may not.

3.  Intel only says that it will not update any drivers for Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, but does not claim any compatibilty.

This is my plan.  I am taking a guess that the combination of BIOS, OS & Drivers only support 4 GB.  If I can swap the 4 GB of memory into A slot 0 & B slot 0 leave out the other two 1 GB memory boards, I will have 4 GBs of memory, instead of 6 GB, but will not have the hastle of a BIOS upgrade that may not even work.  This solution will be acceptible.

I will let you know if it works.

• 3. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
              Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

1.  There are 78 fixes in 13 updates of BIOS from BIOS 1687 to 1754.  Not one of these fixes mentions memory fixes.

Have another read of that pdf - there are several fixes in there that are 'memory related' (they may not give the exact same symptoms you're experiencing but sometimes symptoms can be very indirectly generated). I've not counted them, that's to keen, even for me.

If you don't feel comfortable/confident performing a BIOS update then you could take the PC to your friendly local computer repair shop and get them to do it - it shouldn't cost much. By all means you can play musical chairs with the memory modules and/or reduce the total available amount but will you really be happy knowing there are all those unresolved issues still present in your ancient BIOS or that you've not been able to use all the memory you planned to? I know I wouldn't be happy with that. If you've got a good computer shop and you ask nicely, they may even allow you to watch while they update the BIOS so you can see for yourself what's involved. I suspect you may get others chiming in with 'go on it's easy to update BIOS versions/I've done it many times sucessfully' type responses but in the end it's you who needs to feel comfortable with any process you may consider performing.

• 4. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                rich778

I flashed the BIOS to the newest (1754) configuration and the system booted up properly.  The BIOS recognizes the added memory, but continues to cause Windows 7 home Premium, 64 bit,  to crash, producing a STOP, when I try to add additional memory..  This does damage windows, but Windows is able to repair itself.

I tried adding extra memory and removing the 2 GB modules, one at a time, but this does not work.  I am still limited to a 2GB motherboard and I have no idea why.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                  Curious592

The DG965WH is not on the list of motherboards supported by Windows 7 http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008326.htm?wapkw=(motherboard+support+operating+system).  I went through this with the 915GEV which was on the Microsoft list for upgrades but would not run Vista after RAM and graphics upgrades.  It is also not on the Intel list.

• 6. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                    rich778

Thank you Curious592 (and Flying Kiwi as well).  This is a good example of so called typical testing (not thorough by any means) when Microsoft  tested Windows 7 with the DG965WH Mobo.  I had visited the Compatibility Lab at Microsoft in Redmond, Wa about 13 years ago.  They had about 250 computers in that lab.   They test using only a typical computer that is supported by typical hardware.  They do not keep changing hardware configuration.  If they did, it would be almost an impossible task.  Possibly, the computer that they used for the compatibility test had only 2 GB of RAM, since the typical amount of RAM in 2007 was only 2 GB.   So as far as Microsoft is concerned, a typical computer using a typical amount of memory, 2 GB, is compatible with the DG965WH.  I do not blame Microsoft for coming to this conclusion.

Upgrading to a new Mobo will be my next project.

• 7. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                      Curious592

My expectations for upgrades have changed and I will be wary of the MS upgrade "Advisor".  I appreciate the info about the compatibility department.  There is also the chicken and egg problem.  Limited motherboards are available for testing and BIOS updates extend the RAM capacity.  4GB was compatible with the 965WH with Vista.  However when adding a graphics card two weeks after adding 2GB memory I lost the graphics slot, hard drive and power supply.  I used it for another year with replacements and no graphics card with no problem.  At this time the big question is whether to get Windows 8 for a new computer.

• 8. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                        Flying_Kiwi

rich778 wrote:

I am still limited to a 2GB motherboard and I have no idea why.

Any ideas?

What ESD precautions did you take with the 'new' memory and is it 'known good' memory or is there a chance it's defective? Was the motherboard unplugged from the mains (not just shutdown) when you fitted/removed/moved memory? Did you load setup defaults from the BIOS after making these chanages and before booting into Windows? You could try running one of the numerous free memory testing utilities available online.

As mentioned by Curious that board is not on the supported for Win 7 list BUT there are (at least) generic Win 7 drivers available for its chipset, the G965 graphics and even the associated RAID hardware (with some versions of the chipset). Although you'll have no official support under Win 7, I therefore think there's a good likelyhood you should be able to get it running perfectly well. Just for testing purposes you could try a quick Vista install to see if it behaves the same way with this new memory - if it does (which I'd suspect would be the case), then something else is to blame.

• 9. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                          Curious592

Like Kiwi I would not give up on the board since you have the RAM, but I would plan a new purchase as well. The 1687 BIOS you list was the final that fixed the clock jumping by minutes.  I installed 1719, 1738 and 1754 as well.  Those should install fine with the 2x1GB RAM.  Don't disable Quick Resume Technology after an OS install.  Your plan to install 2 x 2GB in slots 0 was a good one.  I would even consider a graphics card up to a AMD 6650 or 6670 but there could be a risk that in a month there could be problem.  In my case there were one or two warnings by fairly loud noises prior to failure.

• 10. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard

I just upgrade from Vista 32 to Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  I am having the same problem with a limit of 2 GB Ram.  I have DB965WH with a BIOS level of 1676.  I was thinking about updating the BIOS but it sounds like it will not resolve my problem.  My problem discription is a litter different.  I can boot with 4 GB but the System Interrupts procsess take all the CPU cycles.  If I add more memory, then Windows startup hangs.  I tried new memory with the same results.

I reloaded Window 7 32 and was able to run with 4 GB, no problems.  So this is a Windows 7 64 problem.

Any new information?

• 11. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                              Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

I reloaded Window 7 32 and was able to run with 4 GB, no problems.  So this is a Windows 7 64 problem.

Any new information?

The new information for you is that I recently upgraded my Win 7 x86 PC (based on a different motherboard) to Win 7 x64 and in the case of the x64 version, it recognised all 4 GB correctly. I therefore can't see how Win 7 x64 has a problem recognising 4 GB of memory - I can see how this may not be a compatible combination though. Certainly a board not having support for a chosen OS could explain many issues but if that lack of official compatibility is made clear, then the only problem here would be that although it's been given a shot (and short of checking the BIOS related pdf for details of what an updated version offers), compatibility has turned out to be a stumbling block.

• 12. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard

Thanks Flying_Kiwi.  Your answers are better and quicker than I am getting from MS.

Now I have to decide if I am going to re-install the 32-bit OS or upgrade the BIOS.  Will upgradeing the BIOS fix the memory problem or will I still be limited to 2GB?  I am not sure from the previous replies.

• 13. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                                  rich778

I would like to comment to all the responses and thank the community for providing a lot of insight into this problem.

It is interesting that the original memory used in the motherboard is not compatible with the newer Intel motherboards.  I was going to upgrade the motherboard and use the old DDR2 memory in the new motherboard.  Just one problem.  It will not work.  The memory specs are different in the way the memory module is organized.

That is because the older memory that is physically organized in the memory modules, especially on double-sided modules, is physically incompatible with the newer motherboards.  It is my assumption that in order for the newer motherboards to be more efficient in accessing memory, better BIOS software coding has been implemented at the machine language level.   Combining better software techniques used by the newer operating systems to work more efficiently with the newer memory  possibly causes some backward compatibily issues with the older memory.

Just take a look at the newer memory specs concerning more compatibility restraints that is based on the physical organization of the memory. That is possibly why a 32 bit operating system worked and a 64 bit operating system did not work with the older memory.  I do not believe BIOS updates will not solve the problem.  They are just software patches to fix existing problems.

We need a software designer's opinion.  It is not just the hardware. 

• 14. Re: Adding RAM Memory to DG965WH Motherboard
                                    Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

Now I have to decide if I am going to re-install the 32-bit OS or upgrade the BIOS.  Will upgradeing the BIOS fix the memory problem or will I still be limited to 2GB?

I see in the BIOS related informational pdf (available on the download page - NOT the readme file) that there are a number of fixes associated with 4 GB of RAM causing (very) slow boot problems but nothing about Win 7 (or x64) O/S compatibility (due to the last BIOS updates age). Maybe what you're experiencing is a very slow boot which just appears to have frozen? You are lucky if you can get the 32 bit version working fine on it but I know if it was my PC I'd want to try the new BIOS just to see if it did make a difference. That said, on such an old board I'd probably want to stick with the 32 bit OS. On my PC the 64 bit version seems to run slower and theres all the issues associated with application compatibility to wory about. The 64 bit OS would really only be of benifit if you need to use loads of memory for complex processes. If it's just an ordinary home PC, 32 bit will be fine.

1 2 Previous Next