8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 12:21 AM by splurben

DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI

splurben

Board is DH61CR with B3 Stepping, BIOS Version is latest (BE0023P.BIO).

Installer is Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3.

Installation CD loads with SATA in IDE mode in BIOS.

BSOD with F6 (iaStor.sys) AHCI (latest version 10.5.0.1027) at "Starting Windows" section of Installer start-up.

I prefer to do these installations with hardware in native modes. But I can't waste any more time, have to get these systems built.

Questions:

How do I know which ICH? I can't find anything in tech documents for DH61CR. The F6 disk on download.intel.com includes many flavours of ICH7, ICH8, ICH9, ICH10. They all seem to load iaStor.sys and they all result in BSOD.

What kind of performance hit will I be subjecting my customers to by installing in IDE mode on SATA instead of native? My understanding is that some SATA features will be disabled without installing under native SATA mode.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Kirk

P.S. I have five of these boards on five systems and they all behave exactly the same, I can't believe that 5 out of 5 boards would have a manufacturing defect.

P.S.S. Linux will boot on these boards in Native AHCI SATA mode with all SATA features enabled.

• 1. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
          Flying_Kiwi

If you've already downloaded f6flpy-x86_10.5.0.1027.zip from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3280&DwnldID=20072&keyword=%22DH61CR%22&lang=eng then I'd try it again (and reformat your pendrive/whatever your putting the files on) just to rule out a defective download/user induced corruption and if the problem continues report the matter to Intel Tech Support as that would point towards a bug with the XP related driver. You could also try earlier revision packages of the same driver while waiting to hear back from Intel. The problem of course with setting the systems up on IDE is as well as the performance hit, there will be fewer power state options and just generally less ability to utilise all that the HDD and board is capable of.

Edit: I suspect the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller is the one that your board uses (rather than an old fashioned Southbridge ICH) but maybe someone using one of these boards with Win 7 can look in their device manager to see what the relevant entry is.

• 2. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
            splurben

I did eventually get this to work.

My big question now is this:

On the DH61CR motherboard, the latest F6 driver diskette covers eleven (!) types of AHCI interfaces.

1. iaAHCI_7RDH                     = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
            2. iaAHCI_7MMDH                    = "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
            3. iaAHCI_9RDODH                   = "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
            4. iaAHCI_9MEM                     = "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
            5. iaAHCI_10DDO                    = "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
            6. iaAHCI_10R                      = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"
            7. iaAHCI_5                        = "Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
            8. iaAHCI_5_1                      = "Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
            9. iaAHCI_5_1_1                    = "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller"
            10. iaAHCI_DesktopWorkstationServer = "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"
            11. iaAHCI_Mobile                   = "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"

If you pick the wrong one, you get a BSOD. In my experience in the past, if you pick the wrong one, the installer just doesn't see any drives.

Also, I cannot find ANYWHERE in any of the documentation for the motherboard, or the H61 chipset, which of this plethora of drivers is intended for the DH61CR(B3) motherboard when in AHCI mode.

I know from reading other materials that no RAID driver works but I wasn't trying to enable RAID nor did I choose a RAID driver.

Please tell me this is listed somewhere in the documentation and I just missed it. (I searched every PDF for "AHCI" or "ICH" and got no results.)

I'm a documentation junkie.

Kirk

• 3. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
              Flying_Kiwi

Maybe you didn't see my edit before you posted but my reasons for suggesting the above are because it's not a 5 series board and to my knowledge the new 6 series boards don't have a Southbridge anymore (that's old fashioned now), it's also not a mobile setup so that leaves just the one I suggested - a simple process of elimination!

Clearly Intel could make things clearer in their documentation although I've not read the Product User Guide for this board - that should be where it's explained which to choose (also in the readme that comes with the zipped driver archive would be a good idea).

I'm glad you've chosen that one (10 in your list) and got it to work - what made the difference in the end?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
                splurben

I had gone back in before the edit.

However, I'm still a bit miffed with the documentation because although you have listed your 'process of elimination' in your response. One shouldn't have to carry out a deductive reasoning process of elimination to determine the correct option.

I have just now searched the board product guide again for either "F6" or "AHCI". Neither term exists in the documentation.

I think this needs to be addressed.

I getw that the southbridge bus path has been eliminated and this would explain the BSOD when the wrong driver is selected.

INTEL: Please add the F6 driver specification required for AHCI configuration to the product documentation for these H61 chipset boards.

• 5. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
                  bineeshjose

The AHCI controller driver which you need to select is "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" for your model board.

Make sure that you have configured SATA as AHCI in BIOS before loading this AHCI driver.

Thanks,

Bineesh Jose

• 6. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
                    splurben

I already have that information from previous posts.

My question is, "Where in the documentation for the DH61CR motherboard or the H61 chipset is the name of the F6 AHCI driver specified?"

• 7. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
                      Flying_Kiwi

Kirk Richard Holz wrote:

I already have that information from previous posts.

My question is, "Where in the documentation for the DH61CR motherboard or the H61 chipset is the name of the F6 AHCI driver specified?"

You do but remember I stated I suspected that was the case (with my reasoning) and asked for a Win 7 user to verify things - thanks for that verification

Bineesh Jose (Win 7 comes with the drivers built in so the F6 treatment isn't needed to get this working) - you seem to be the sort of person who wants confirmation!

As for your remaining question, these are unpaid user-to-user forums with no official Intel representation here (even though occasionally the odd employee may turn up and read posts/respond, thats far from guaranteed. Red or bold text within a post won't make a difference in that regard because you only see that on selecting the thread. I frankly don't have the time to review multiple documents to come up with the answer you want but I'm sure it'll be out there - just not in the most convenient place it should be - the users manual (I'm assuming you've looked there as any 'documentation junkie' would have done so first).

If you want to try and effect change in this regard - bearing in mind XP will soon have support discontinued from Microsoft and Win 7 (just like your Linux testing) works off the bat, you'll need to contact Intel directly. Their contact details will be available off the general website.

• 8. Re: DH61CR (B3 Stepping) Windows XP SP3 Installer BSOD with AHCI
                        splurben

Flying_Kiwi,

I very much appreciate your input. My frustration on this matter is not with you. I have provided feedback to INTEL through my Channel Partner feedback.

By leaving this thread, however, other system integrators addressing this new chipset will be able to find an answer to this question.

I'm happy to say that any Microsoft™® product is a TOTAL PAIN IN THE ***. The bulk of the computers I build employ Linux or BSD.

These machines are for a surgery that employs proprietary XP Pro software. I am fully aware that XP is pending deprecation, and I'll be glad to see XP go.

Cheers,

Kirk