14403 Discussions

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Usage

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 which is using

maximum 23% (core# 1) with 10% (core# 2) when processing a film (mkv) with VLC,

maximum 28% with 10% at scanning with BitDefender and

maximum 18% with 18% at playing online TV channel.

I ask you isn't it too much of resources used in percentage for such processor?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Keep in mind that the usage of the cores is determined by the operating system, not by the processor itself.

Anyways I would suggest installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and any available update for your operating system and any other running software.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

d19, I would say no, those CPU usage amounts are quite reasonable. I have a C2D E8400, and while it is a good processor, it is not a super, high end CPU anymore. If you are comparing those usage percentages with a newer quad core CPU, then I see why you are wondering about that. A quad core CPU is equivalent to two dual core CPUs, and their usage percentages will be much lower. The newer CPUs are also have new instruction sets that are more efficient, more cache memory, so are simply overall faster and have higher performance.

On the other hand, if you were to compare your processor with lesser, cheaper ones from the same series as yours, you would see that they have much higher usage percentages than yours, and are overall much slower in performing tasks. The step from single to dual core CPUs was a big step, but going from dual to quad core processors with Hyper Threading was a very big step. Unfortunately, comparing those processors can be disappointing for those with the older ones, but don't forget your CPU is better than those used by most people.

0 Kudos