3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 9:00 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Intel socket 1155 MB

corim75

I am atm looking for new MB and CPU - and it looks like i would have to step down from the AMD wagon to intel's. So if anyone can help me to find intel MB with Z68 or P67 chipset who would allow me to install 2x PCIe graphic cards (2 slot cooling solution) with minimum 3x additional aviable PCIe x1 slot (which i do need because of the sound card, LAN card and TV card) and ideally with additional 1x PCIe x8 slot as i plan to buy PCIe SATA/SAS controler and if there would be one additional PCI slot aviable that would be great as there is possibility that i would in future change from PCIe sound card back to PCI sound card.

• 1. Re: Intel socket 1155 MB
          Flying_Kiwi

Stepping down from AMD to Intel eh?

I really wonder why your motherboard must have all of those slots for. Gone are the days when onboard anything signified budget bottom of the range hardware so you had to have lots of slots and seperate cards (not to mention cash) to get excellent sound, gigabit network connection and excellent graphics etc.

Depending on what you want to use the computer for, Intel motherboards are grouped by series as shown here: http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/motherboards/320918.htm

There is some crossover in that boards from one series can be used for other purposes as well but it's best to start with the basic series suited to your main PCs purpose. I'm guessing in your case that may be gaming so the Extreme series would be where you should start. The full range of Intel branded motherboards is shown there so if there's nothing to suit your needs at the moment and you're keen on an Intel branded board, then keep saving up and check back at a later date.

• 2. Re: Intel socket 1155 MB
            corim75

Well - atm i do have only 1 graphic card. But in future i do wanna get 2nd one. And as sound card i do have ASUS Xonar D2X with ASUS AV200 chip which is way better than any onboard solution - i do connect it with AV reciever and THX certified sound system - and compared to the HD codec i can hear the difference in between these 2 quite clearly. For LAN i have Bigfoot Network Killer 2100 - the on board LAN is just crap - did had ~ 30 ms ping with Realtek 8112 - and now i do have ~ 3 ms ping with this one. And for TV card i would say that's obvious why do i need it. And when i buy SSD disk i will before then buy Adaptec RAID 6405 card which have in hardware Hybrid RAID - so something similiar as the P67/Z68 chipset - but it is done by hardware on the RAID controller and not by software and CPU.

• 3. Re: Intel socket 1155 MB
              Flying_Kiwi

If your current graphics card isn't good enough by itself at the moment there are plenty of motherboards which have 2 slots for graphics cards (including Intel branded boards) but the more slots a board has, the greater the manufacturing cost and the more resources each slot taxes from the overall system - hence the tendency these days for simplification and smaller numbers of slots.

Although the Intel HD Audio hardware is capable of much more in terms of quality than the drivers allow to be utilised (192 kHz at 32-bit) it does have the advantage of having dedicated system bandwidth for audio purposes. This helps to stop things like clicking, popping and other noises caused by PCI bus contention issues - something dedicated cards naturally can't have because it's decided off the card by bus architecture. There are many slickly marketed products available which are designed with form over functionality so I'm personally weary of some cards. An example is those cards which have gold coloured backplates as well as gold plated connectors. While gold connectors are a good idea in some premium PC audio solutions, optical connections have surpassed what can be transmitted down even a well connected copper line. Colouring the faceplate gold on a card simply adds to its cost.

Your network ping times will vary depending what you are pinging and how it's connected. I can get a ping time of under 1 ms if I ping my router for example with my onboard Intel Network Controller. Although ping times are important, reliability/integrity of connection and throughput is also vital because if data gets corrupted on-route, it'll need to be resent and that takes up even more time. I'm not a big fan of Realtek hardware either, principally because when I worked as a computer technician some years ago, NICs with their chipsets onboard were far inferior to Intel and other brands, similarly their audio chips lagged way behind others back then - they were alot cheaper though for those with budget as a priority. I dare say if you'd made the comparison with a good Intel NIC, you would have achieved better results, if not with just ping results, then with gameplay itself.

Be aware that, although some RAID cards promise onboard CPUs to reduce reliance on the host CPU, the onboard CPUs often aren't super fast. For limited non-server usage, fast CPUs aren't taxed much by 'firmware' RAID as found with Intel Rapid Storage/Matrix RAID (quite a different kettle of fish to software RAID). Unless you have multiple databases being accessed by many users at the same time (as an example), money spent on a dedicated RAID card with onboard cpu (of any brand), may be better spent elsewhere to improve game performance.

Good luck with your searching through the link I provided!