10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 8:30 AM by craigray

Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK

craigray

Hi,

I have an interesting situation with a machine.  It is a Tyan S7200 motherboard with Intel 5520 / ICH10R  controller.  I have a Raid 5 configuration with two volumes on the same Raid 5 array.   One volume showes a status of Degraded, and the other shows a status of normal.  All of the disks (5 of them) show a status of normal.   The array did fail a disk due to vibration lifting the SATA cable from the motherboard.  This was repaired and the array rebuilt, but when it finished rebuild, one volume normal, one volume degraded.   The normal volume is 100GB and the degraded volume 1.7TB

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Craig

• 1. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
          Dan_O

RAID Web Console 2 should show you why it considers the array Degraded.  The full manual is at

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022358.htm

• 2. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
            craigray

Thanks for the reply Dan_O. 

This piece of softwares ranks up there with the most frustrating thing I have every had to install.  It still does not work after:

Ensuring that the last NIC on each server was in use and the other NIC is disabled or in use as well. 

Turned off all of the firewalls, and still no discovery.

Can see the service operation in the service list. Still cannot discover any RAID controller.

System:  2008 R2 on Intel 5520 / ICH10R  controller

Any reason why the controllers are not being discovered?  Do I need to remove other Raid software consoles (the non-web variety)? 

Thanks,

Craig.

• 3. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
              Dan_O

The RAID Web Console can be stopped by some firewalls, anti-virus, Windows apps, et cetera.

Can you reboot and at least get into Ctrl-I or Ctrl-G or something, and view the boot ROM?

• 4. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                craigray

Hi Dan_O,

Yes I can reboot and reach the ROM, etc, but that only gives options which destroy the volumes completely,  Delete, Create, but NO REPAIR.  Is there a document that specifies the PORTS, etc that RAID Web Consile 2 tries to use,  Then I could move affecting programs temporarily to allow the console appropriate access.

As this is a production server, all this takes negotiation of down time, etc.  I have removed Intel Rapid Storage Technology to see if that was the cause of the WEB Console not working.  It also need a restart to remove it fully.

Firewall turned OFF:  No Change

Anti-Virus Turn OFF:  No Change

Ports 3071, 3570 and 5571 added to firewall allow rules.

In reading documentation it talks about RWC2 connecting a Raid Server.  Is this a service installed on the machine?  I do not see any service like this on the machine.

Is there anyway to diagnose what is wrong with he second volume without using RAID Web Console? 

Thanks,

Craig

• 5. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                  Dan_O
                  RWC2 uses 5571 or 3071 as multicast listening ports, so you've already got those open.

Yes, the RAID server service should be running, if RWC2 is installed correctly.  If the service hasn't started properly, the utility has nothing to connect to.
                  • 6. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                    craigray

Hi Dan_O,

I setup the RWC2 on another machine.  The original machines are 2008 R2 / SP1 and the other machine is 2003 R2/SP2.  The 2003R2/SP2 machine works and the RWC2 on all machines detects the 2003R2 and allows access as expected.  I still am unable to see the two 2008R2 machines from any of the 3 machines.  Firewalls on or off makes no difference.  On one machine the MR_Monitor service will not run.  The second 2008R2 machine runs this service.  (the one with the faulty volume runs this service.)

Thanks,

Craig

• 7. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                      Dan_O

The Web Console works on an SP2 machine, but fails on an SP1?  Weird.  I don't recall seeing any dependencies in the README like that.

• 8. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                        craigray

Hi Dan_O,

Just wished to correct a possible misunderstanding.  It works on 2003R2-SP2, but not on 2008R2-SP1.  All machines can see and connect to the 2003R2-SP2 machine, but no machine can connect to the 2008R2-SP1 machines.  Hope this clarifies...

Thanks,

Craig

• 9. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                          Dan_O

I did understand correct, I just hadn't typed out the R2 part.

Is upgrading to R2-SP2 an option for that server, to make it work like the others?

• 10. Re: Raid Volume Degraded but all disks OK
                            craigray

Thanks Don_O,

I ended up using the Rapid Storage Technology to delete the volume, and then create.  Now pulling the data back DFS and backup.  School is on holidays so no students trying to access, so the 4 days it will take to restore is not an issue.  The created drive all can back in about 30 seconds and is now showing as normal, not degraded.

Thanks,

Craig