5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 6:30 PM by Curious592

DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center

poit57

I've had a media center PC built with a DG45ID motherboard for about 3 years. I upgraded to Windows 7 when it was first released, and since it's been so long, I don't remember if I had this issue with Vista as well or just Windows 7. Anyway, on to the problem...

Many times when I start Windows Media Center, I just get a black screen I have to ctrl+alt+del to use task manager and end the Media Center. The only way to get it working again is to reboot the computer. Over the past year I've searched the internet for solutions, but the only thing I've found was a suggestion that there may be an issue with my audio or video drivers. I've always made sure to have the most up to date drivers as well as BIOS version for my motherboard. This did not help, so I eventually tried a different video card. At first I just upgraded to a video card that ran component video cable to my TV because the HDMI input had stopped working. I was still running the onboard audio with a digital optical audio cable to my surround sound receiver. The problem still existed.

Eventually, I got the HDMI input on my TV fixed, so went back to running audio and video through the integrated HDMI port from my motherboard. Still having the same issue, I added a Nvidia video card with HDMI. The Media Center crashing issues stopped. After a few weeks, I realized that I was not getting 5.1 surround sound like I had been getting with the Intel audio drivers. I was only getting sound through my front speakers, so I switched back to the digital optical audio from the Inted IDT audio. Within the first 10 minutes, Media Center crashed again.

I would just be content with the audio from my Nvidia card if I could get 5.1 surround sound with it, but since that is not working, I was wondering if anyone had any solutions I could try to keep the Intel IDT audio drivers from crashing Media Center.

Thanks

• 1. Re: DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center
          Flying_Kiwi

poit57 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any solutions I could try to keep the Intel IDT audio drivers from crashing Media Center.

Thanks

You've hit the nail on the head and that is *exactly* whats causing your problems. This is also an issue common to the DP45SG (which uses the same IDT audio chip/codec). The people who do have the solutions (or at least the ability to come up with them) are of course Intel!

In the mean time you can uninstal the IDT drivers in Control Panel -> Programs and Features and resort to the Win 7 SP1 drivers - which function without any crashing whatsoever on the DG45ID (but according to one report) don't support the optical port on the DP45SG motherboard. It's really not a very good sign where the chips manufacturers/OEMs drivers are problematic but the native Windows ones work (on at least some boards).

I'd contact Intel tech support and raise this as an issue needing resolving. If they suggest using the native Windows drivers as a workaround (and that's all it is), ask them when they will be fixing their drivers and if they won't give an estimate or promise it'll be done, ask why not. At least one DP45SG owner has asked for the same recently so they should be getting the message we expect results! Of course this problem is coming to the forefront more and more these days as audio solutions which use the TOSLINK (optical) output are becoming more popular and widely adopted (and the problem referred to is only evident when using this port).

• 2. Re: DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center
            Curious592

Anytime I do an infrequent recording using Windows Media Center I am concerned there will be a problem.  Most recently the computer was slow to start and WMC also opened slowly.  The change in settings (Sharing was listed instead of the normal original air date) may have been caused by opening a second WMC.  The WMC updates may also be a problem when coupled with Sleep/Hibernation.  No one appears to have done a systematic study to reveal if graphics cards, audio, power management or WMC is most to blame.  In my case restarts always fix the problem but it can be annoying knowing exactly how to initiate a different manual recording if a scheduled recording fails due to "no signal" caused by the ISP for some stations.  I can now do "Catch Up" for cable programs I've missed so I'm doing even less recording.

See http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-3.html for some discussion of tesselation and bitstreaming.  This concerns DTS for Blue-Ray.  Maybe even systems that are not using this processing may be adversely affected by the copyright protection complications.

• 3. Re: DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center
              poit57

I also use the DP45SG board in my home office computer. I rarely use Media Center on that machine, but when I have, I have not had issues with it. I use the onboard IDT audio there as well, but the difference is that I just use the 1/8" mini-plug with desktop speakers.

Side note: when I have had the issues with Media Center starting to just a black screen on my DP45ID, I never miss a recording. It seems the only issues are that I cannot see or hear the picture within Media Center until I reboot and try again.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get in contact with Intel to request support of this nature? I've contacted them a few times in the past, but seem to always get directed to a knowledge base of some sort before eventually stumbling onto an email address to contact technical support. I have suffered through this for 3 years, so I can last until January when i plan to replace the whole HTPC, but I just wish I could get this to work as designed without annoying reboots or sacrificing full surround sound like I have by switching to the Nvidia graphics card.

• 4. Re: DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center
                Flying_Kiwi

poit57 wrote:

I also use the DP45SG board in my home office computer. I rarely use Media Center on that machine, but when I have, I have not had issues with it. I use the onboard IDT audio there as well, but the difference is that I just use the 1/8" mini-plug with desktop speakers.

Indeed poit57 (and Curious) this is ONLY an issue if you use the optical port as your output so neither of you will experience THIS problem on a DG45ID. I used the IDT drivers without incident for over year while I was just using the green 3.5 mm stereo jack on mine. It was only when I upgraded to 7.1 sound and started using the optical port that this problem popped up (even using the same drivers that were formerly fine).

It'll depend where you live as to how you can contact Intel Tech Support poit57 but here in the UK there's a phone number. This Intel page details some phone numbers: http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm otherwise there's a live chat option over the Internet but I think the phone number will be a more effective way of getting the issue escalated. Make sure you get a call reference number and note the day/date and time you report this to them so you can chase things up later if Intel don't get back to you. You'll need to have all the relevant numbers for your motherboard(s) and prepare to be interrogated so they can ascertain whether the warranty cover is still in place.

• 5. Re: DG45ID issues with Windows 7 Media Center
                  Curious592

Thanks for the side note poit57.  In my case if the recording is done from sleep or hibernation I shut down since I will want to restart anyway.  There are regional and ISP differences.  For me one network does not provide a schedule but manual recording is allowed using times.  Another network has a schedule but no recording is allowed by stopping the signal when recording starts.

I lack the audio problems since I use 2.0 (2.1) from the optical output on the DG45ID w/o the TV tuner.  The problems you summarize show this extends beyond high sampling rate and bit depth I would expect, to include multiple channels, at least with IDT.  I had no real concern about the Realtek spyware app but thought the IDT was a better solution than it turns out for some.