1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 12:49 PM by tbm69

DQ67EP audio via dvi

em12000

I can not get audio via dvi.

BIOS: Configuration > On-Board Devices > Audio  HDMI/Display Port Audio

Enable: HDMI/Display port output includes both audio and video.

Disable: HDMI/DisplayPort output is video only.

• 1. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
          CarWiz

I don't believe DVI-I includes audio. That's what I'm running at the moment.  If you want audio to display speakers using DVI, you need to run a plug from a PC speaker jack to the jack on the display. You should be able to get audio over the HDMI port though. Use a HDMI cable. HDMI is not the same as DVI.

• 2. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
            em12000

I have DVI-HDMI cable.

You can see dvi is the same like hdmi.

My MB has DispleyPort and DVI.

I tried to connect my PC to TV Sony by cable dvi-hdmi.

I have video, but I don't have audio.

Can anybody help me to get audio in dvi?

• 3. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
              em12000

I tried to connect my PC to TV by dvi-hdmi cable and audio cable from a PC speaker jack to the jack on the TV.

When dvi-hdmi cable was put on tv there was no audio.

When dvi-hdmi cable was put off tv there was audio.

I think tv switch off audio jack on the tv because there is audio stream from PC in dvi-hdmi cable. But I can't put audio into audio stream dvi.

• 4. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                mechbob

Does your TV have a TOSLINK Input ? If so get your sound from there the TV will decode to 5.1 sound.  So run TOSLINK from computer to TV with the DVI / HDMI .

• 5. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                  CarWiz

"HDMI and DVI differ in several key ways. First, HDMI lacks analog VGA compatibility, as these signals are absent in the HDMI connector. Second, DVI is limited to the RGB color space, whereas HDMI supports both RGB and YCbCr. Finally, HDMI supports the transport of digital audio, in addition to digital video. An HDMI source differentiates between a legacy DVI display and an HDMI-capable display by reading the display's EDID block."

"Features specific to HDMI (such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color) are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards), and some multimedia displays may accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. In general, exact capabilities vary from product to product."

What this means is, not all products support audio through a DVI port unless the port is on both ends is HDMI compliant.  This includes output from a PC. I have a DH67BL board and it does not supply audio over the DVI port nor does it state so in the manual.  The manual does state that digital audio is supplied through the HDMI port.

• 6. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                    em12000

My PC das not have TOSLINK.

Maybe there is a way to put audio strem to dvi or displeyport on the MB DQ67?

• 7. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                      em12000

OK, I know that dvi basically not support audio. But in my DisplayPort also das not have audio, although there is information Display port must  support audio.

• 8. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                        mechbob

You can get add on cards to add Toslink. Not real expensive.

• 9. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                          em12000

DQ67EP has only 2 pci-e

first pci-e is tv tuner

second pci-e is ieee1394 adaptor

and all.

Maybe there is utilite or special driver to put audio stream to dvi or displayport.

• 10. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                            CarWiz

DisplayPort is not the same as DVI and requires a converter for HDMI.  The reason is DP, includes digital content protection.

Your TV most likely turned off the audio cable input because it's expecting the audio to be in the HDMI signal.

• 11. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                              mechbob

The ( Y header ) on the motherboard is for S/PDIF , which can be used to hook up a Toslink adapter , I did this on a ASUS board so I could have coaxial and toslink on the back panel of the computer worked fine , Windows found the device and automaticly installed the driver .

• 12. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                                em12000

Yes, I tried 3 diffrent converters DP - HDMI. But audio - not.

I think, my TV not expect the audio to be in the HDMI signal, rather there is audio stream in dvi. But I don't know how i can put audio in audio strem.

• 13. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                                  em12000

I don't understand LINUX. I found a way to put audio to dvi:

pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC883 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1

in  /boot/loader.conf add string:

hw.snd.default_unit=1

How i can do it in Windows7?

• 14. Re: DQ67EP audio via dvi
                                    mechbob

I just googled the S/PIDF adapter and came up with 4 different ones the do not use a PCI-E slot they plug into the Y header on the MOMBO , they all are about $15.00.  Intel may even sell one .

1 2 Previous Next