Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 are causing processor spikes

RKell3
New Contributor I

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 are causing processor spikes

I noticed recently that I was having processor spikes. I tried many things to locate the source. I have found that turning off my wireless adapter, the processor would return to normal. I disabled the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 and the processor spikes were no longer there.

The Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 are a part of the Intel My Wifi Technology.

So who's is responsible for the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 causing the processor spikes, Intel ot Microsoft?

Who(m) do you contact to get this corrected?

Anyone else out there with processor spikes that are caused by the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2?

I have the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2 disabled in the device manager to stop the processor spikes. Would like to bring this to the attention of all the companies involved so this can be fixed.

I have a Dell XPS L501x. Dell usually modifies the Intel Drivers, so in most cases, using the Intel Drivers are not a possibility.

Rick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RKell3
New Contributor I

So far, what I did has seemed to help. No Processor spikes and everything is enabled. I will let you know the progress, if there are any more spikes. Here's what I did.

I went to...

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&deviceid=26232&libid=5&releaseid=R307408&vercnt=2&formatcnt=0&SystemID=XPS_L501X&servicetag=2WNF7P1&os=W764&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true Download the latest 64-bit drivers from Dell's website

Make a system restore point.

I enabled the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 2

I went to start, control panel, programs and features. I uninstall Inter ProSet Wireless and I also think I uninstall the Intel Wireless Display.

Restarted the computer.

Went to start, control panel, device manager, network. I noticed that the 6200 was still there. I right clicked on it, then left clicked uninstall. It asks you if you want to remove and associated software with it. I clicked yes. When it was done, I restarted the computer.

I then double clicked on R307408.exe, choose custom to make sure everything was going to be installed. I then installed and restarted one last time. I then connected and everything seems to be working fine, no processor spikes and I even have the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter # 3(now # 3) enabled.

Rick
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mine works fine.I installed the most recently drivers from Intel.

0 Kudos