4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 5:41 PM by santosoandre

Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects Raid5 but Win7 can't see partitions.

ichbinder

Hello people!

I have an Intel ICH9R controller on an Asus Maximus Extreme (first edition, see http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/Maximus_Extreme/ ). As disk configuration I have four 1TB Samsung HD103UJ, three of them combined to a Raid5 array. In Windows 7 SP1, I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, 9.6.0.1014, abbrv. IRST. It detects the Raid5 array as one big array, just fine. It does not tell any information about the filesystems that exist on that Raid5.

intel_rapid_storage_technology.png

It has already been used in Linux before, where I created one EXT3 and one NTFS parition on the array. I'm not even sure if the partitions should even be detected by IRST or not. The main problem is, that I can't access the NTFS partition on the Raid5 in my Win7.

Am I doing something wrong in the IRST control center or do I need further drivers or what is the problem? :-/

computer.png

device_manager.png

If you need anymore information, let me know.

First post, so please be gracious and give me a warm welcome. And excuse my English, non-native speaker.

Thanks for taking a look at my issue and have a nice day,

ichbinder

• 1. Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects Raid5 but Win7 can't see partitions.
          Flying_Kiwi

It sounds like the new volume hasn't been partitioned yet (as a RAID volume)? What is Disk Management showing the status of the drive as... Control Panel (using classic menu) -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management? That's the area in Windows 7 where you can configure away with partitions and formatting etc to suit your needs.

I assume you backed up your data on the volume from within linux when that was installed so as long as there's nothing on there you need to keep just partition and/or format away!

• 2. Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects Raid5 but Win7 can't see partitions.
            ichbinder

Hey Flying_Kiwi, thanks for your reply!

It has been  partitioned, using gparted in linux, or something similar, years ago.  One partition is ext3, the other one is ntfs. I can mount and access  both perfectly in linux.

So, here a screenshot of my disk management in Win7:

disk_management.png

It detects the two partitions, just not that one of them is a NTFS... :-/ But why? And what can I do? In linux, it says ntfs-3g and like I said, I partitioned it in linux to NTFS... I've done that before with non-Raid disks, partitioned them in linux and windows detected them just fine... so, where's the problem here?

And repartition it using windows is no option as I couldn't backup the data since I didn't have a spare 2GB anywhere...

Thanks again,

ichbinder

• 3. Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects Raid5 but Win7 can't see partitions.
              Flying_Kiwi

ichbinder wrote:

I've done that before with non-Raid disks, partitioned them in linux and windows detected them just fine... so, where's the problem here?

And repartition it using windows is no option as I couldn't backup the data since I didn't have a spare 2GB anywhere...

I'm aware that Win 7 uses a new type of NTFS and that's why it's not possible to perform a direct upgrade installation over some earlier NTFS using OSs. I'm unsure of the specifics but I strongly suspect that's why your partitions contents aren't showing up in Win 7.

Time to buy a 2 TB External drive for backups then I think (that's what I use - I assume you meant TB rather than GB otherwise you could just burn a DVD to back it all up). I use RAID 0+1 over 4 identical HDDs but still have my backup drive (which I can connect through my eSATA port).

• 4. Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects Raid5 but Win7 can't see partitions.
                santosoandre

Dear Sir first of all i'm sorry if it's not the right place to post, but i think i'm also have some strange and simillar case with the new 10.6.0.1022

hdd.png

and after i remove "IRST" the problem is fix, i tried with kingston ssd at first(sorry don't take screenshot that time) and found out that my ssd somewhat is missing. and then i change to my old hdd and found out the same case.

hdd1.png

and my spec are

2081343.png

Intel Core i7 2600K
                Windows 7  Ultimate Edition  SP1 (Build 7601) with the latest update
                CPU PSN : Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
                Core : Sandy Bridge (32 nm) / Stepping : D2
                MB Brand : ASRock
                MB Model : Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
                NB : Intel Sandy Bridge rev 09
                SB : Intel ID1C44 rev 05
                GPU1 Type : Intel HD Graphics 3000 (GT2+)
                GPU2 Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
                RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel

Message was edited by: santosoandre