1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2011 5:44 PM by Dan_O

Teaming Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port PCI NICs in Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit

I support a Sun Blade X6270 server, using two Sun StorageTek SG-XPCIEFCGBE-E8-N Dual 8 Gb FC Dual 1 GbE HBA ExpressModules (in fact these are Emulex LPEM12002E-S HBA/Ethernet cards repackaged and sold by Oracle/Sun. The operating system is Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit with Service Pack 2.

Windows reports 1 GB ethernet ports on these cards as Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port NICs. They are currently using the latest available Intel drivers (version dated 2010-03-26). PROSet version is part of the installed driver. A single port on each PCI card is connected to a port on Cisco switch.

I am trying to team together one Ethernet port from each PCI card for adapter fault tolerance. I can create the team without any problem, but once it is created and IP address is assigned to it (no VLAN), then an interesting problem occurs. I can ping all hosts on the same subnet with the last IP octed being 1-120, but when I try to ping any host above 120, the connection fails. Network support staff informes me that they see a lot of packet being dropped, when the team is active.

The moment I disable one of the team members, even without removing the team, everything works fine and I can ping full range of host IP's on the subnet.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this problem and providing full functionality to the NIC team.

Romuald Czajkowski