I have an S5520SC based system using BMC (software) based RAID 5. It was all running fine, until I installed a new graphics card - RADEON 6990. Now the system will not boot.
After almost 8 hours of troubleshooting it still seems a mystery, but here is but here is what I know so far:
- As far as I can tell the graphics card is working because the display all seems to work fine.
- According to the BIOS, I have no bootable SATA devices.
- I cannot even boot from my Optical Drive any more.
- The only boot devices the BIOS knows of are USB, EFI and network.
- When I power on my system I can hear the disks chattering away as normal. It sound like the software RAID is initializing as normal. The LED on the optical drive blinks as normal.
- I updated all my firmware to the latest version, but that made no difference.
- I ran the EFI Platform Confidence Test (see attached) but nothing really seems wrong as far as I can tell.
- I ran the EFI System Information Retrieval Utility (see attached) and again nothing really seems wrong as far as I can tell.
- The BIOS can sort of see the SATA devices when I switch the mode from software to extended, but it does not show any details on the devices as it normally did. It seems like something in the SATA system or IOH is hosed, but I cannot think of what or why, unless there is some weird PCI Express interaction going on with this new graphics card. Yes, I have rechecked all the cables and connections.
- My next step is try putting the previous card back in - but that is an increadibly stressful process because things are so tight in the chassis.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?