1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2011 11:02 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep

tleinadkram

I have experianced this a few times.  The board is less than two months old with current BIOS (thought I had a memory problem).  Doesn't happen every time, but when it does  fans turn to full speed and the intel utility hardware monitors read n\a for all measurable items. If I restart, problem persists, and BIOS hardware monitor reads the same (all n\a).  If I turn it all the way off and restart, fans go back to normal operation.  Anyone else seen this? Reason for concern?

• 1. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
          spearson

You'll have to give us more information about your system. What is the motherboard? What is the processor? How much and what kind of memory? What's plugged into it? (etc.)...

• 2. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
            tleinadkram

Right, just shot that one off.  I have a DG45ID, Q8200 processor, 4gb patriot  in slots 1 and 3(2gb per slot), and ati hd 3870, 500w power, win 7 32bit, using raid 5 (four disk). 

As a side note, I have experianced the symptom without the video card.  I didn't have it installed when I first built the system, because I was trying to diagnose a memory issue- turned out to be bad from tigerdirect (corsairwas the culprit, if you are curious).

Again, not consistant... If i had to quantify it, id' say 1 out of 20... 5% of the time.  I have the computer on an a power filter as well.  It just worries me because the thermal sensors don't seem to report when it happens.

• 3. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
              Flying_Kiwi

tleinadkram wrote:

Right, just shot that one off.  I have a DG45ID, Q8200 processor, 4gb patriot  in slots 1 and 3(2gb per slot), and ati hd 3870, 500w power, win 7 32bit, using raid 5 (four disk).

Sounds like it may be another example of the infamous fan problems which can occur with this board when CPU C-State power saving is enabled in the BIOS. I've had my DG45ID running with C-State disabled for some time and it's completely eliminated fan speed misbehaviour (and problems with Intel Desktop Utilities not detecting board values) - it'd be worth disabling C-States (as a workaround) to see if that makes any difference. If it does, report the problem to Intel tech support and let us know what their solution (not workaround) is

• 4. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                spearson

In this case, we can tell that the Intel(R) Management Engine (ME) has stopped working (evidenced by the fact that the monitoring application cannot communicate with it) - which has nothing to do with C-States. When the ME stops working, there's nothing telling the fan controllers what to do (since the fan speed control decision-making is being done by the ME firmware). In this case, the watchdog protection circuits within the fan controllers will override the fans to full speed (that's their function).

The question at this point is what has caused the ME to stop functioning. I don't have enough information to speculate. first of all, let's start with the basics. Are you running the latest BIOS package (which also provides the latest ME firmware)? If not, I suggest that you upgrade. The ME utilizes part of the main system DRAM to operate and thus, if there is anything wrong with your memory, this can cause ME failures. Is your memory specifically on the list of supported memory for this board? If not, try getting some that is specifically on the list and see if it makes a difference...

• 5. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                  Flying_Kiwi

spearson wrote:

In this case, we can tell that the Intel(R) Management Engine (ME) has stopped working (evidenced by the fact that the monitoring application cannot communicate with it) - which has nothing to do with C-States.

I don't know enough about the background workings of the DG45ID and IDU to be able to speculate about specifically what's caused ME to stop working but what I can categorically state is that disabling CPU C-States in the latest BIOS versions does stop the problem from happening - however indirect that link may be!

I'm currently running the BIOS version that ends with 131, that's because the latest version ending in 135 was giving me errors with IDU values sometimes going out of range - again I don't know the cause, I just know that reverting to the previous BIOS version stopped that from happening. The latest BIOS version 135 seemed to have no effect on the fan ramping up to full speed/ME stopping working issue and as it didn't contain any goodies I couldn't get from 131, I decided to revert.

Although you quoted me spearson, I wonder if you really meant to quote another poster here? My system uses 2 sticks of 'to spec' Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 memory (4 GB total) which has given me absolutely zero complaints and I have no reason to believe is causing or contributing to any problems. IDU picks it up correctly and I simply have no reason to believe thats an issue.

Certainly if/when a new BIOS version comes out for the DG45ID, I'll give it a try with C-States enabled in the BIOS to see if that problem has been cured (I'm even willing to try a Beta version if you can pull strings ) but I'd be worried about IDU warnings coming back again. I know you're probably keen to know but I'm not certain which value was out of range. I'm pretty sure it was my 3.3 Volt bus dipping slightly below the limit. This was only an issue when my TV card was energised ie recording or watching live TV and even then it was only something that happened intermittantly. If I view the gauges in IDU while the TV card is energised, I do see a bit of fluctuating on that bus now but it's all well within the green range and there's no sign of the problem returning since returning to the previous BIOS. The default voltage is around 3.308 volts and when it does dip down, the 5 volt bus tends to dip slightly as well. The PC remains reliable and I've never had any BSODs etc out of it so I strongly supect an indication issue with IDU when using that BIOS version rather than a real problem - after all until that BIOS version, there wasn't this problem and now reverting, the problem has gone away.

• 6. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                    parsec

OMGosh Kiwi, how many times have we been down this road!

While the ME problem is possible, let me confirm the C-States setting is well known to cause the fan speed lock-up problem, I've experienced it myself, and the workaround as described by Kiwi has been verified many times by Kiwi, myself and others.  The original recent thread about this issue goes on for many pages, which can be find here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/103343#103343

It remains a mysterious issue, but the simple cure of disabling C-States has worked for most if not all DG45ID owners.  It may be related to ME, but given the frustration with this issue and the simplicity of the "fix", we have not spent additional effort in finding the root cause with certainty.  Intel has never offered an explanation for this AFAIK.

Spearson, I understand that the explanation of this issue seems far-fetched, if not ridiculous, but I can assure you that when I enable C-States in my DG45ID's BIOS, the fan speed surging and lock-up at full speed will occur within a few hours, not to mention the immediate start of inductor/coil whine from this board.  Disabling C-States instantly causes the coil whine to stop completely, and the fan speed issue disappears as well.  Among others, yf38 and Curious592, regular poster's in this forum, can also verify this behavior.  If you can demonstrate that this issue is caused by whatever else, then you certainly will receive kudos from me, since I can't figure it out.

• 7. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                      Curious592

If it weren't for the hard drive recognition problem I wouldn't still be reading these posts.

While my particular problem was not solved by disabling C-states I can see how that could interfere with power management, but only if the power supply supports the states.  It can be difficult to determine exactly what states are supported and beyond difficult to determine which state is at fault.

• 8. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                        tleinadkram

Well folks, the symptom has happened again as recently as yesterday.  I would say it is probably happening twice a week, and my computer goes into low power sleep state constantly.  Anyway,  I just disabled C-states. I will update you all in a week or so.  BTW, BIOS end in 135, I believe them to be most current.

• 9. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                          tleinadkram

Hahaha... happened much faster than I thought.  C-state dissabled, just came out of sleep mode and fans are running at full speed.  How do I contact Intel support to put in a ticket?

• 10. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                            Curious592

The make, model and age of the monitor and power supply should be considered.  Connections and peripherals can also influence power management.  Any contact with support will hopefully help with support in general, if not for this board.

• 11. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                              parsec

tleinadkram,  You're really not giving us enough information about what is occurring with your PC.  When you say it goes into a "low power sleep state", which I'll assume is Windows Sleep, does that occur while you are working with the PC, or have walked away and when you return the PC is in Sleep mode?  Is the version of IDU the one offered on the DG45ID download page, after you specified you use Win 7 32 bit?  I don't have the same problem you do on my DG45ID PC, so I would not immediately assume there is a problem with the BIOS, etc, the Windows power management settings are notorious for causing odd behavior, among other things.

• 12. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                                Flying_Kiwi

Does the power section in your BIOS setup menu look like this?DG45ID C State.jpg

• 13. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                                  parsec

Hi Kiwi,  That's exactly how my settings are.  Yes, the question is what are his settings.

• 14. Re: Fans at full speed and HWmonitor says n/a when recovering from sleep
                                    Curious592

The best guide for setting up the power management I've found is at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html.  I can't recommend any of the changes suggested for problems.  I don't recall if it mentions raid in any way.

1 2 Previous Next