9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 3:34 PM by

Intel Vt-d support

HappyCerberus

I'm desperatelly searching for some information on Vt-d technology, but all I found is complete confussion.

Is Intel Vt-d supported only by those few Intel motherboards listed on this page http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-030922.htm ?

From my research on the web it seems that Gigabyte definitelly doesn't support Vt-d on any of their motherboards. Information about MSI and Asus does seem to indicate similar state.

So what is actually needed for Vt-d? It's listed as CPU feature, but it needs a Vt-d capable chipset (which is a distinction I can't find anywhere) and a Vt-d capable motherboard. Am I right?

I'm building a new workstation (2k-4k USD range) and there aren't any Vt-d capable motherboards, then I really need to rethink my strategy (and perhaps buy two cheaper machines instead).

I would like to build my machine around Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)

• 1. Re: Intel Vt-d support

I think the intel guys themself are confused about the support of Virtualization. We can find lengthy articles on intel site about the virtualization technology, however we dont find any clear mention of Virtualization supported Motherboards and processors. These people are having ambiguity in their specifications regarding VT.

• 2. Re: Intel Vt-d support
            mechbob

Do you have VT-D or is it VT-X   ???

• 3. Re: Intel Vt-d support
              mechbob

I have a work station built around a Xeon , X3380 which has  (  VT-X  )  I belive the Sec Gen I-core 7 are ( VT- D )  Which are not as good for Virtualization ??

• 4. Re: Intel Vt-d support
                HappyCerberus

Vt-X is the old basic virtualization. Vt-d is the new I/O virtualization (well, kind of new).

• 5. Re: Intel Vt-d support
                  mechbob

You are right but what ever you need a board that will support VT alot of boards don't ???

• 6. Re: Intel Vt-d support
                    mechbob

From what I've read intel has a BIOS problem on the new 6 series boards to support VT .

• 7. Re: Intel Vt-d support
                      HappyCerberus

I don't really understand what you meant.

I need Vt-d support and have trouble finding hardware that supports Vt-d. Specifically I have trouble finding motherbords with Vt-d support.

Since I'm building a workstation I would prefer a desktop motherboard with Core i7, but that seems absolutelly impossible and new Xeons with motherboards are a little bit out of the desired price range (plus I still have trouble finding motherboards with Vt-d support, even for the new Xeons).

• 8. Re: Intel Vt-d support

I use a Intel DQ67SWB3 board with a i7-2600.

This combination supports vt-d.

I was able to pass an Nvidia graphics card into a VM run by kvm.

The Ubuntu running in the VM loaded the driver (nouveau) but the card did not work.

Passing a Realtek based NIC did fail because the card shared an IRQ with another

device.

This puzzled me since the graphics card used a shared IRQ too, but I got no error

message about that.

I played around with VMware ESXi 4.0.1 and it claims to support VT-d for exactly

three different PCIe devices in the world: two Broadcom and one Intel NIC.

I googled around a lot but I could not find sufficient information on how to configure

the APIC in the BIOS or in Linux to assign a dedicated IRQ line to a device.

Given that and the lack of industry support for VT-d I would not take it into

account for an production environment.

Cheers

Fritz

• 9. Re: Intel Vt-d support

Passing the DQ67SW's USB3 controller seems to work: a USB WLAN Stick can be used in the VM to connect to my WLAN. I did no benchmarks...

Trying the same with the onboard sound leads to distorted sound from within the VM.

/proc/interrupts in the VM shows much more interrupts than on the host.

Using taskset on kvm and [irq/56-kvm] to pin them to CPU0 did not help.

A little embarrassing.