1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2011 9:53 AM by MPECSInc

RAID1 Configuration questions

hartzell

I have a Dell Alienware Aurora ALX puchased about 6 months ago and I am worried that my RAID1 is not configured properly.

I thought that I had a boot drive that was a basic drive and a data volume drive that was a RAID1 array. But I am not sure:

In Device Manager, Disk Drives, I see ARRAY0 (data drive, which appears as a single volume Disk1) and ST32000641AS (Boot drive, Disk0).

In the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, Status is "functioning normally" and "configured to enable advanced SATA". But, I am afraid that the RAID array is not working because in the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology window, 3 Hard Drives corresponding to the boot and the two disks on the array are listed, but there is no  indication that any of these are in an array. Under "Manage", I can see  the properties of each of the 3 disks, but nothing about an array. Under  "Usage" for each HD, it says "unknown", but status is "normal". For each Disk under "advanced" there  are no options that can be changed. There is nothing saying that this  is RAID1 or some other configuration. There are no options to view, manage or change the arrray. In BIOS, under  Integrated Devices, the ICH SATA configuration was set by  Dell to  "configure SATA 1-6 as AHCI". But, the other choice for this setting is  RAID. Shouldn't this be set to RAID? But, if so, why does Device Manager see an Array?

Is the RAID1 setup working? And, if not, what do I do? Also, how can I manage the array? For example, if I decided I wanted to change the  RAID1 setup to RAID0, how would I do this?

The computer has a Intel i7 X 980 @3.33GHz and is running Win7Pro.  The SATA RAID controller is ICH10R.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: RAID1 Configuration questions
          MPECSInc

RAID 1 = Two (2) Drives configured in the RAID BIOS as one.

So, when looking in the RAID BIOS under status for the configured arrays you should see two ST32000xxxAS or whatever part number there is.

Go to your system manufacturer's download site and download the Intel Storage Manager that should be similar to the following:

11-05-19 Intel Storage Manager.PNG

Note that the array shown is actually a RAID 0 (stripe) across two 80GB X25-M SSDs.

Philip