6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 7:19 PM by sheperd06

Operating System Recommendations Needed

sheperd06

Which Windows 7 Operating System will best accommodate the Intel D865GLC System Board architecture? Also, I have a couple of graphics cards I can install. The Geforce 6200 which has Windows 7 driver updates available, and the Geforce 8600GS which I'm still looking into.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
          CarWiz

Support for your board ended June 2007. This means the board was probably from a design in the previous century. You might want to consider upgrading since technologies have made huge leaps after your board was manufactured. Your choices for an OS are slim unless you can get your hands on an old version. I'm not sure if the current Linux will support a board that old. You might check one of the Linux support groups.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d865glc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
            sheperd06

Thanks for responding.  I know nothing about Linux but the Board currently has XP professional installed.  I'll do some reading when I have time to see what I can find out.  Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
              MPECSInc

You could probably get away with Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) with 2GB of RAM installed.

1GB of RAM would be a bit small depending on the applications that will be used.

We have Windows 7 x86 versions installed in a wide variety of Intel Atom based devices and things are quite reasonable for most daily somewhat mundane tasks.

Don't expect to game with it.

BTW, when it comes to CPU restricted systems like Atom based devices we tend to suggest installing at least an 80GB X25-M SSD to eliminate the pain of waiting for data from the hard drive (usually 5400RPM and _slow_). Having an SSD installed makes the machine run very well.

Philip

• 4. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
                sheperd06

Thanks for the response and recommendation; much appreciated;  I'll look into Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) operating systems keeping in mind at least 2GB of RAM should be installed.

• 5. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
                  MPECSInc

Excellent.

If you have a Windows Home Server installed with Web based access to your network from the Internet, then it would be a good idea to have a Windows version that allows for an RDP connection.

• Windows 7 Pro
                  • Windows 7 Ultimate
                  • Windows 7 Enterprise

If you are planning on installing a Windows Home Server in the future then keep this in mind for your decision. Besides RDP capabilities, Ultimate has Windows Media Centre integrated which has a rich multimedia experience.

So, for me Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (32-bit) would be the OS of choice.

Since external storage is readily accessible and quite inexpensive, an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD or Intel 320 series 80GB SSD would be a great storage platform to build on.

I can't recall of the board has USB 2.0 ports on it. If it does not, then a main stream (meaning not a no-name brand) PCI USB 2.0 card would be a good addtion.

Philip

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Operating System Recommendations Needed
                    sheperd06

Great information! Thanks again.