Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20680 Discussions

HD graphics generating BSOD with 8 GB memory on Win 7 x64, i5

idata
Employee

I have a DELL laptop - E6410 with

brand new installation of Windows 7 x64 SP1

i5 dual core with VGA+ laptop monitor

8 GB 1066Mhz memory (2x4GB)

I am constatly getting BSOD with any version of HD graphis driver. Tried using current 2361; also latest from DELl version 2281; and other versions people have pointed to in this dicussion group e.g. 2219, 2342 etc. Sometimes it will generate BSOD right after the reboot, somthimes working after few hours. There is no specific pattern I can identify.

The only time I don't get BSOD is when using 4GB or less memeory with the above configuration. I don't see any problem with the memory itself as I have tried both modules independently without any problem. I ahve also run memtest86 and other memory diagnostics tool provided by DELL on full *GB memory with no errors.

So, has anyone running into the similar issue? anyone has it working with 8GB memory? Any guidance or fix to make it work?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm having a similar problem with my E6410. Getting BSOD while trying to upgrade driver for external graphics that run my three external monitors. Thing is I don't think the drivers are outdated, yet when the 8 GB of memory is installed that's when I'm having the problem. There is also this random flicker of a black screen that I have to refresh by swiping my mouse back and forth to "wipe the black screen away.". This only happens while trying to run with the 8 GB of memory vs the 4 GB I had the system shipped with. Wondering if I should just go buy the memory from the dell site to see if what they are selling causes an issue, but I don't see why the brand of memory would matter that much as long as the specs are right. I've tried two separate brands of 4x2 memory with similar problems.

WEre you able to resolve your issue?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi

What version of System BIOS do you have on your system? Please be sure you have the latest available from Dell http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-e6410 here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hopefully this will fix my problem. I was running A05, latest is A12. Had to implement several revisions to get to the latest and greatest BIOS rev, but I'm up and running and so far haven't had that same issue I was referring to in my original post. I'll repost if similar issues surface, but otherwise will consider this one solved.

Thanks for the prompt reply with a suggested solution!!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Awesome,, thanks for posting your results. Hopefully biztalk will have the same results.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert_U,

Things seem to be running much smoother, but my original issue of having all of my monitors go blank and me having to "wipe the display" back from the black by swiping the mouse across the screen (2 24", 1 17" and the 14" monitor on my E6410).

I'm running two of my monitors with DisplayLink DL-195 (the 2 24"), but even the 14" and 17" go blank like the DisplayLink run monitors...

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Are you using the latest Display Link software available http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php here?

Also, we will be posting an update Intel HD Graphics driver for your chipset in the near future that you can test. I will send you a note when it is posted.

0 Kudos