4 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 10:36 AM by Dan_O

unsuccessful post attempts + i5 problem

flo12392

Hi guys!
      I recently bought a new PC, the guys of the shop build it and I installed it myself, this is the system:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz 6MB Box
      Intel DP67BA B3 iP67, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0
      Antec Midi Tower Three Hundred ATX No PSU
      BenQ TFT Monitor G2220HD 21.5", DVI (zwart)
      Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3
      Corsair Voeding CX600 600W
      ICIDU PCI Adapter NI-707523 WLAN 300Mbit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 NL 1u 64bit OEM
      MSI Videokaart PCI-e GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB 2xDVI/HDMI
      Samsung DVD-/+/RAM SH-S223C 22x/22x/12x SATA Bulk (zwart)
      Samsung Harddisk 3.5" 1TB, SATA300, 32MB, HD103SJ

After it was delivered, I set the jumper from maintenance mode to normal mode, then found out the HDD wasn´t connected to the power supply and connected it. (almost) everything works fine once the pc has started running, but when i boot it it gives this error message about 75% of the time:

The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance options or recent hardware changes.

Press 'Y' to enter BIOS Setup or press 'N' to cancel and attempt to boot with previous settings.

After that, I just press n, it boots up again and everything works fine. The second problem I have is that when I wake my pc from sleeping mode, one of the cores shows 98% in the task manager, the other three do almost nothing and my pc gets incredibly slow, even when I don't run any program. after I reboot everything works fine again.

does anyone know how to solve this? Every comment is appreciated!
      Florian

• 1. Re: unsuccessful post attempts + i5 problem
          Dan_O

Does your Task Manager have a 'Processes' tab?  That should show you what is taking up 98% of the processor.  If it is a single-threaded application, it is normal that only one core would be affected.

For the BIOS error message, have you gone in to the BIOS and done a 'reset to factory defaults'?  I think it's F9.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: unsuccessful post attempts + i5 problem
            flo12392

Thanks for your reply!
            About the task manager: In the processes tab, even when I click; show processes for all users' nothing special shows up, just the inactive processes with 99%. (not sure if I translated it right, I have a dutch computer). When  I click source control (or something) at another tab, it sais ''interrupts of the system - postponed procedurecalls and interruptsserviceroutines' which has a 23% activity.

on the bios; can it do any harm to reset it? or can i save the recent settings or something?

• 3. Re: unsuccessful post attempts + i5 problem
              flo12392

I have reset the BIOS to defaults, but the problem still occurs. I did find out that my Intel(R) Desktop Utilities isn't working. No idea if those problems are related though. Does anyone have another suggestion?

• 4. Re: unsuccessful post attempts + i5 problem
                Dan_O

I can't think of anything immediately.  Can you take a screenshot of the Processes tab and the Performance tab?  Maybe something in there will inspire a troubleshooting path to follow.