9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 11:49 AM by LarryE1946

Question about Network Adapters

LarryE1946

New to all this so have some questions.

I show I have an 802.11n Wireless LAN Card and Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection.  I have connected a Netgear WNDR3700 dual band wireless router.  According to the the information I have, the 802.11n only works on 2.4Ghz.  My question is, what do I need to do to get it to work with the 5Ghz band, or do I need to purchase a different card?

Thanks for any and all help/information.

• 1. Re: Question about Network Adapters
          Dan_O

Is the wireless card based on the 82567V controller?  I'm not sure, from your description, of the manufacturer and model of the wireless card.

Once that is known, it's usually much easier to pull up documents and specifications that will tell you the capabilities of the card.

• 2. Re: Question about Network Adapters
            LarryE1946

Yes it is based on that 82567V controller.  I have the documentation and it only mentions the 2.4Ghz, not the 5Ghz, that's why I'm questioning whether it is capable por if I have to purchase a new card?

Thanks for answering and I hope this information helps.

• 3. Re: Question about Network Adapters
              mark_h_@intel

The Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection is a wired Ethernet connection and does not determine the capability of the wireless connection. Can you tell me the full name of the wireless connection shown in Windows device manager?

If the documentation for your wireless connection only mentions the 2.4GHz band, then you might not have the capability for the 5GHz band. Many wireless adapters commonly support only the 2.5GHz band.

Mark H

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                LarryE1946

Ok, maybe I don't understand about wireless/wired connections and that's my problem.  Ok, let me explain my set-up and hopefully that will give you better insight into what I'm asking.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router.  An Ethernet cable connects from my SB6120 modem to the WNDR3700 router, and that router then connects via another Ethernet cable to my desktop computer.  I connect my laptop wirelessly to WNDR3700 router.

The information about the 802.11n and the Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection are referring to my desktop computer.  On my HP Pavillion DV7 laptop, I show the Intel (R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN network adaptor.

As I say, I think I'm just confused, as I'm new to networking and maybe don't understand which computer should be able of what.  Hope this information helps and thank you very much for your help.

• 5. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                  mark_h_@intel

The Intel® WiFi Link 1000 in your laptop only operates at 2.4GHz, which is the band where 802.11b and 802.11g operates. 802.11n operates in either the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band, but in the case of your wireless network connection, you only have support for the 2.4GHz band.

Wireless adapters that operate in the 5GHz band support the 802.11a standard. If the adapter supports 802.11a and 802.11n, then the adapter is capable of using 802.11n in the 5GHz band.

2.4GHz = 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n

5GHz=802.11a and 802.11n

802.11n can be used in either radio band.

When an adapter lists 802.11b and/or 802.11g, then the adapter supports the 2.4 GHz band.

When an adapter lists 802.11a, then the adapter supports the 5 GHz band.

So, if an adapter says it supports 802.11b/g/n, then the adapter will only work in the 2.4 GHz band.

If an adpater says it supports 802.11a/b/g/n, then the adapter can work in either the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band. The "a" is the indication that the 5GHz radio is available.

I hope I am explaining this well enough. Let me know if I am not making sense to you.

So, if you want to get an adapter that supports 802.11n on the 5GHz band, watch for both "a" and "n" support.

On your laptop, if you want support for 5GHz, then you should check with HP to find out if they can upgrade your adapter. You might not be able to swap out the adapter yourself.

Another option would be to buy an adapter that connects to the USB port that supports 802.11a/b/g/n. I never used a USB adapter for wireless, but I do know that you can buy them. You could plug the USB adapter into any computer with a USB port.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                    LarryE1946

Thank you very much Mark.  Now THAT was definitly an explanation I could easily follow.  I guess I will have to contact HP to see if they can upgrade my adapter.  I'm really surprised it doesn't support both bands because this is a high end laptop, but then that doesn't really mean all the components are high end.

Thank you very much for that excellent explanation.  Learned a lot of new stuff today.

Have a great weekend.

Larry

• 7. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                      LarryE1946

Answered perfectly by Mark.  Thanks Mark.  Appreciate your help.

• 8. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                        mark_h_@intel

My wife just bought a premium, featherweight series 9 notebook from Samsung. This notebook uses a lot of the latest technology, but the wi-fi adapter in the laptop does not include support for the 5GHz band. Most people only seem to care about the 2.4GHz band, which is probably the reason behind the lack of support for 5GHz. However, when you have lots of neighbors on the 2.4GHz band, having 5GHz support is great. Both my personal laptop and my work laptops support 5GHz, and I am glad to have a connection in a less crowded band.

Mark H

• 9. Re: Question about Network Adapters
                          LarryE1946

LOL that's exactly the reason I want the 5Ghz support.  Neighbors.  I just recently got the 105Mbps tier from Comcast and can't take advantage of that speed on the laptop as I only get a max of 85Mbps down.  So, if I can eliminate the neighbors, I should get the full pipe.  At least I hope I can.  LOL

Thanks again Mark, I really appreciate that fantastic explanation.