0 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2011 1:03 PM by bschmitt13

d845gebv2 and SATA Drive

bschmitt13

I think this is the best place to ask this question, but any alternative suggestions will be welcome.

The background: I have a d845gebv2 Intel Motherboard with P4 processor. This is a pre SATA board, and  replacing it isn't really an option at the moment. I was given a 1TB SATA Drive and purchased an adapter to connect it as an IDE drive. BIOS sees it and I used Parted Magic with Clonezilla to clone from my original Windowd NTFS drive (just under 60GB) to the new drive, then extend it to a larger size. That seems to have worked. I can browse the files and open them (have some Windows booting issues beyond the scope here), but adding partitions after that fails after an hour plus with Parted Magic then losing all device connections and requiring a restart.

I'm wondering if this might be an issue with the motherboard just not being capable of using the drive at the speeds  the drive expects and whether anyone thinks it would be worthwhile getting a PCI Card Sata controller. I suppose a USB external adapter would be an option as well, but I know that would slow things down a bit.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Bill