cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 510 elm crest 120gb SSD Help...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i got a question the reason i change in my efi bios to ahci rather ide was because i seen a major increase in read/write speeds...now let say if i get another ssd to make it much faster and majorly more space should i raid it?? and if i do then how will this effect my hhd's i have and my dvdrwr i have on the sata ports??? please any help would be great,...thanks...this is my setup just incase you guys want to see my built:::: http://youtu.be/PJA9YDKE8Hc http://youtu.be/PJA9YDKE8Hc

20 REPLIES 20

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A second SSD will obviously give you more space, but there is a trade-off. If you raid the two together, it will definitely increase sequential read/write speeds. However, you lose the ability to keep the SSDs nice and fast with TRIM implementation. I know the drivers don't support it, and from my reading I'm pretty sure you can't use the toolbox to do a manual TRIM.

So on one hand you get nice and fast speeds - but on the other, you effectively shoot yourself in the foot in doing so. When the performance begins to degrade, you;d need to image backup your installation, break the array and do a secure erase on each SSD, before re-creating and restoring the image backup.

An alternative is to manually manage putting data/programs on each individual SSD. Probably a pain in the arse, and you'll probably wish you had bought a single larger SSD. You won't get RAID-performance for sequential read/writes, but at least you won't have to worry about TRIM.

In regards to optical drives or other HDDs, if theyre not part of the array (obviously not optical / dvd drives) they just show up like normal in windows. You create the array before you install your operating system, and this array is what the OS will see as a logical disk. Non-member disks or other drives just appear as normal.

ps. i looked at your video - you appear to have the memory modules installed both in "Channel B" (i.e. single channel). Check your BIOS post screen (unless it has the fancy graphic enabled, which hides all this information), or google a program called "CPU-z" - it has a memory tab which will tell you if you are running in single or dual channel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

oh okay so i wouldnt mind getting another ssd just two sepreatly not raid then and have them as ahci...as for the memory yes i do see them as single how could i fix this??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You should have 4 dimm slots. 2 one color and 2 another color. Put the ram in the same color slots, usually slot 1 and 3. Each slot is a different controller, with 2 sticks they both need to be on the same controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

what should i do about this... please help...some people just dont disable this..but i did...so should i not disable this...ii dont mind reformatting all and do this step???help thanks....