3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 9:32 PM by redrock

Intel RST and Plextor PX-128M2S

redrock

I just built a new computer and every couple of days the computer would lockup for about 30 seconds and the following error message is posted in the Event Viewer: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." At first I had to reboot the computer but then I realized if I waited it out, the lockup disappears and I can continue working on my PC. While the lockup is going on, the hard drive LED is a solid ON.

I read that this has to do with LPM (Link Power Mode) and that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers send this command to the drive but if it doesn't support the command, the hard drive locks up for about 30 seconds and the error appears in EventViewer. I'm using the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver which is v10.1.0.1008.

I don't have Service Pack 1 installed for Win7 so I don't know if that might resolve the issue but I think it has to do with the Intel AHCI drivers and not windows. I hear this happens with the newest SSDs on the market only.

My computer specs are as follows:
      Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 revision, latest 1502 BIOS
      Intel i7-2600K
      8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz
      EVGA GTX 570
      Silverstone Strider Gold ST1000-G 1000W
      Lite-On 24x DVD Burner
      Plextor PX-128M2S 128GB SSD

Btw, the Plextor SSD is connected to the first Intel SATA6Gb/s port on the motherboard.

I have also posted this on the Plextor forums and would like this to get fixed soon because a lot of people are getting these error messages, especially with the Vertex 3 and Plextor SSDs and until recently the C300 but that was fixed in a firmware release from Crucial.