cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 510 120GB died after 2 days of use

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good Day,

I have bought an Intel SSD 510 120GB which i have installed in my new Core I7 2600K +P67 setup, the drive is so fast, however after 2 days of use the drive stoped working and my Mother board is not detecting it even in windows, i have tried installing it in my frind pc in SATA III but its not working!

any help or suggestion.

Best of luck

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That is a shame Basem, it sounds like you may have a broken SSD. If you've been using the same SATA cable in all your testing, try another one if possible. I have noticed that when connecting drives to SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA III) interfaces, all SATA cables will not work, the cable should be rated for use at SATA 6Gb/s. I would definitely try connecting your SSD to a SATA 3Gb/s (SATA II) interface, an Intel chipset would be best.

If you are using the Marvell SATA interface chipset, it is common to have problems exactly as you are describing, the drive not being recognized by Windows. For the remainder of your testing, use the Intel SATA interface only, and check if the SSD is seen in your UEFI/BIOS.

If you haven't tried this yet, go to (in Windows 7, what OS do you use?) Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Computer Management, and finally Disk Management, under Storage. If you cannot see your drive in the BIOS and Disk Management, the SSD is probably defective. If the OS cannot see your SSD, then it is unlikely that the Intel SSD Toolbox (a free tool from Intel) won't see it either. That tool would allow you to run diagnostic checks on it, as well as perform an erase/reset of the SSD, which sometimes "fixes" an Intel SSD that has problems.

Let us know what happens after performing these tests.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SATA II cables are 100% compatible with SATA III. As long as it is a good quality cable you are good to go. No need to pay a premium for a "special" SATA III cable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's what I thought until I swapped a cable on a SATA 6Gb/s interface and the 'drive was not seen, unable to boot. The cable did work on a SATA 3Gb/s interface. So is it quality, the "bad" cable fit much better in the mother board, but who knows. Always worth trying a different cable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i have tried all the suggested solution but it does not work .... as if its not there ..... the bios does not detect it nor the windows .... its not detectable

any soultion?