5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 7:08 PM by

NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot

dianali

It is Intel Server Board S5000PSL with two 82563EB on board NIC controllers, dual physical NIC ports, OS is Windows Server 2003. The user created teaming (Adaptive Load Balancing Mode) with the two NICs, it worked well, two active NICs and 200Mbps in total which is correct. But once rebooted, one NIC was
      "disabled" and the other was still "active", thus 100Mbps in total. How to fix this issue? Thanks.

• 1. Re: NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot
          mark_h_@intel

I can think of two possibilities (and maybe the reason is something other than these two) that might be causing your issue.

1. Teaming on devices that are enabled for use by a system management engine, in this case the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC), can experience issues with team members becoming unavailable. If the devices are enabled for IPMI remote management, then the IP stack on the BMC will also have access to the port and can cause the device to be not available for teaming. If you are not doing remote management of the server, you can probably disable the management access for the Ethernet port. If you do, the "disabled" port issue will go away.
          2. The first issue is the most likely culprit, but another possibility is that the probes sent by the primary port to check if the other members are active are being blocked. The default setting for the probes is to use broadcasts to reach the other members. If the broadcasts are blocked for some reason by the switch(es) then one port on the team will show disabled. If this is the case, you could try disabling the probes.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

• 2. Re: NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot
            dianali

Thank you for the feedback.  I don't believe that anything is configured for remote management and this server does not have the remote management module installed.  But, do we know how I could verify this to be sure?

And disabling the probes, how can I accomplish this to see if it helps?

• 3. Re: NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot
              mark_h_@intel

I am not familiar with the settings on the server, but I am guessing that there is some type of setting in the BIOS or the BMC that allows you to enable or disable remote management. Maybe the wording is different and does not call out BMC or IPMII and instead uses another term such as remote management or management engine. I will see if someone who knows the servers has some better advice in this area.

You also asked, "And disabling the probes, how can I accomplish this to see if it helps?"

You can configure Probes in the Advanced tab on Windows device manager by using the Properties button. First try unchecking Send probes. If all ports become active, then you have likely found the cause of one port being disabled.

By default broadcast probes are sent out the primary team member port to the other member ports to make sure those ports are up. This should work fairly well when the team member ports are connected to the same switch. If the probes are blocked or time out, then the secondary team members are disabled. If you disable probes, then the teaming software will watch for activity on the links to decide if a port is active.

Probes can be configured for multicast as long as the multicast packets can make it to the other team members. You might be able to get that configuration to work if you want to keep probes enabled and broadcasts are blocked.

Mark H

• 4. Re: NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot
                Dan_O

You can unconfigure the NIC for BMC management, by booting off the Intel Deployment Assistant CD that came with the motherboard.

If you don't have it handy, you can download it from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=17990

• 5. Re: NIC teaming works well but one NIC disabled after reboot

Thank you all.