5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 9:51 PM by Sunfox

DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?

Richspf15

I'm trying to decide on which motherboard to use for a Core i7 960 setup and, of the 3 Intel boards to choose from, the DX58SO2 would seem to be the best option.  However, Intel says it has an Expected Discontinuance in 2012.  Have problems with the board caused Intel to abandon it?  Why discontinue?

The DX58OG lacks desireable features and the DX58SO is showing it's age.

If I go with the DX58SO2, will I get the support I need?  Will it's problems be eventually solved?  Are there boards available for warranty replacement?  I saw one posting elsewhere that claimed Intel CS was not able to send a replacement for lack of inventory!  Is that even possible, already?

Can anyone provide some insight as to what's actually going on now?

Thanks to any and all that take the time to answer.

• 1. Re: DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?
          Swiss_Cheese

Avoid the DX58SO2.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/20887?tstart=0

if you need more reasons.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?
            bgolden0101

The X58 chipset is getting a bit elderly.  One might think that most of the bugs would be worked out by now and the current X58 boards would be problem free.  Search this forumn for the DX58SO2 for a feel of the current issues.  Of course, you could check the forumns for just about any brand and find folks with issues of one sort or another.

Also, from what I understand there is a new chipset (X79) which will be out this fall.  So, we get to start all over again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?
              Richspf15

Wow!  I had done some searching in Communities but hadn't run across that thread.  I read it all and am amazed at the tenacity you and the others displayed in trying to make things work correctly.

I feel like I'm stuck in Limbo with this issue.  I built an i7-920, DX58SO back 2 years ago and love it, although I avoid sleep mode which has issues.  I use 3 PC's for my business that run SolidWorks/CamWorks.  Every 2 years I rebuild/upgrade the oldest one to keep up with tech advances and to meet the increasing requirements for SolidWorks.  The oldest PC is way out of date and I don't really want to just duplicate my latest build, some of the features in the DX58SO2 would be very helpful.

I'm hoping an Intel Rep, or someone in the know, can add some enlightenment to my questions.  But, they didn't wade in on your problem, did they.  I'm still wondering if the discontinuance reflects problems.  The original 58 board is apparently still in production and no expected D Date.

Thanks for responding.  I hope I'll get a few more from other users.

• 4. Re: DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?
                Swiss_Cheese

I know what you mean about feeling like your stuck in limbo. I also don't know what to do, I have an i7 960 with no home currently. if the DX58SO2 had been able to deliver what they promised in the spec's it would have been the perfect board for me. I do a lot of modeling and rendering. it had a great pipeline but to  many other problems for me to rely on it for a work machine. I'm still looking for a new motherboard. I really wish I could just get a DX58SO2  that would work.

• 5. Re: DX58SO2  Expected Discontinuance 2012?  Why, and what is the alternative?
                  Sunfox

I will certainly say that the SO2 was something of a nightmare to configure. I had issues getting my memory to run at anything close to its rated speed without getting instability, and spent about a week troubleshooting that specifically. In the end I got it running at 1600mhz CL999 1.51V, no thanks to the memory maker (Kingston).

I've had about 2 months on the new system, and it has been fast and rock solid. I've done a lot of intensive video rendering, multitasking, gaming, etc. and it's never once crashed. My Intel 510 SSD failed on Saturday, but that wasn't the board's fault.

Am I happy with the SO2? Overall, yes. Once I got it working I've had great stability and it has the features I wanted (well, I could use used RS232 & PS/2 as well).

Would I buy it again? Honestly no, because it does seem to have a high DOA rate and is overly sensitive to a lot of things. It also still has a number of bugs. Had there been any information about this board when I bought it (there was NOTHING in the forums back then), I probably would have gone with the ASUS Rampage III Formula (since I do value Intel LAN).